Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the hunt for my first and possibly last technical poling skiff. I guided several years in North Florida out of a big 24’ Carolina. Transitioning to fly, and most likely going the brand new route and custom. I like both these models, interested in feedback.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a friend who sold his Lostman to buy a Mosquito if that helps. Lostman is an awesome platform but there better not be too much chop between the landing and wherever you're going. I have never fished the Mosquito.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a friend who sold his Lostman to buy a Mosquito if that helps. Lostman is an awesome platform but there better not be too much chop between the landing and wherever you're going. I have never fished the Mosquito.
Thanks for the feedback! Lostman’s fishing platform does look good, and it seems they don’t hide the fact it can get wet. I personally hate an early morning spray to the face myself.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Never fished on a Lostman, so not much help there. However, just bought my Mosquito roughly 4 months ago and have about 55 hours on it. Absolutely in love with it. We took it to LA last month and made some pretty sketchy runs in some rolling chop (sketchy for a small skiff). Boat handles chop with ease, we never got wet once. Ran thru those creeks like its on rails. Boat poles very shallow, and very quiet. Have fished northern flood tides with it, and have yet had to jump out to wade or push it off something. Boat goes nearly everywhere I've tried to pole it.

Im running a 60 Suzuki, and with my stock 4 blade PowerTech I can run 34 with two guys and light gear with full tank of fuel. I have touched 35 once or twice, but just for a few seconds. With my Jack Foreman prop (3 blade heavy cup) it shaves a few off and runs around 30-31. Although hole shot is a bit better with the Foreman prop, Im finding myself running the PowerTech 4 blade 90% of the time. Hole shot is still great, but the PowerTech is much quieter.

Poling platform is massive. So much room up there its ridiculous. I have fished with 3 people a few times, but for me, two people is the sweet spot.

Im sure the Lostman is a great choice as well. Im just north of Titusville, I'd be happy to meet with you somewhere if you'd like a test ride. Wish you the best in your choice!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I really like my Lostmen. You can get real skinny. The skiff is very stable. Yea,you might get spray,wet occasionally. You can fish 3 people easy. Try out the skiffs you are interested in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and feedback guys. It’s certainly going to probably take a visit to both builders. The responses do make me feel like I’m on the right short list. And it seems like the Suzuki 60 seems to be a favorite in its horsepower class.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have fished both and a lot out of a Lostmen. I'd take the Lostmen hands down. Yes it might be a tad wet but the thing poles incredibly well and is super stable. I have been in some pretty choppy rides in my buddy's and it was drier than I expected. I loved that boat!

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
750 Posts
I went with a Lostmen as my first (current) skiff. I ran a Shallow Sport for 15 years and the stability of the Lostmen reminds me very much of that boat. In Texas we run a lot of very skinny flat bottom boats and the ride is comparable to those.

Reactions: nautilott

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,439 Posts
Another biased vote for the Mosquito. Super dry in a chop, floats skinny and poles quiet. I've been very happy with my decision and this is probably my last skiff as well. Does everything I ask of it and then some.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,147 Posts
They don’t call it the wetman for no reason.

I haven’t been on a mosquito but the lostman I was on made me feel like I was on a longer version of my old Ankona copperhead. good skiff but wetter than I would prefer.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think these hulls are very different and you really have to wet test them. I've had a Mosquito for a little over a year now but only have about 30 hrs on it thus far. I've tweaked it with a Foreman 3 blade heavy cup prop, cav plate and raised the motor. Fit and finish is very nice and the skiff has too many options for me (bought it used). It's not a particularly stable skiff, which is the opposite of what I've heard about the Lostman. I'm only 180# and with me, same sized adult and a 90# kid, we couldn't pole much shallower than 7-8" as measured. On this day, I had removed the front trolling motor battery, TM and had 1/2-3/4 tank of fuel. Very little water and very limited gear so pretty light load. Overall, the ride on the Mosquito is amazing and the only time I get wet is if sitting down when first jumping on plane in a wind or if a cross wind. The Mosquito has a fair bit of V in the bow, which translates to a nice ride but perhaps deeper draft than a Lostman. Overall, the skiff poles nicely, is comfortable and BT has great customer service. If you are fishing three guys that are all 200-250 pounds, I think you will be over the legal weight limit and also be in need of very good balance. It's a good size skiff but coming from that large boat you mentioned, it will be drastically different.
Best,
Matt

·
Registered
929 Posts
A lot depends on the runs you have to make. I sometimes run 60+ mi in a day going between 1’ flats and open ICW or bay with 1-2’ waves. The Mosquito handles the rough stuff quite well but it’s not fun.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My hometown runs are pretty short and I like to hug the sawgrass line as much as possible. But fishing west does have open water. I’m a big dude 6’2 and 250lb so stability goes a long way on the pole. All the info I’m recieving certainly is appreciated guys.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
750 Posts
6’2” 230 and I walk the gunnels with no worries. I don’t have cat-like reflexes either!

You and I on my boat and you making sudden movements would be different, but my wife and daughter come in around 240 combined. They tend to move around a lot, and I don’t get that “oh sh$t” feeling if one of them steps to the edge while I’m on the platform.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,439 Posts
My counter on stability. I came out of an absolute aircraft carrier (Bayshore custom flats), so it was never an issue before. I normally fish solo with a 115# Rottweiler who isn't exactly cognizant of weight and balance. He hasn't thrown me overboard yet and I can still get down from the poling platform and walk the gunnels to the bow without issue. I'm 6'3" and 225, so I'm not exactly a ninja, either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've fished and poled both of these boats. The lostmen is a very stable, easy to pole boat. However, as many have alluded, it is a VERY wet boat. In fact, my buddy's Lostmen was nicknamed "the margarita" because of the wet, salty taste it left on your lips from the spray coming over the bow. The mosquito is not as stable as the lostmen (not much is), but it is far from tippy. If it were my choice, I would go with the mosquito, but you will have to wet test them yourself to make that decision.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts