Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transducer came lose from the stern a few months ago. I cleaned off the old 5200, got slightly larger stainless steel screws, put some 5200 on them, and screwed the transducer back on. Yesterday after pulling the skiff out of the water, I noticed it was hanging down again, loose from the stern.

What's the best way to fix this so it won't happen again?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mmmm
Not to be an alarmist but my first concern would be the condition of the transom core. For screws with 5200 to come loose 2x's, seems odd. My experience with 5200 is "that shit pulls gelcoat off". If the transom core is dry, I'd pack the holes with west system then re-drill and replace the screws w/5200.
This is assuming you originally mounted it so its not lower then the hull of course...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,430 Posts
Did you possibly hit the bunk with it?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d clean out all the old holes and fill with epoxy, but instead of re-drilling, get another Stern Pad and place it over the old/filled holes and then mount the transducer to it. My guess would be it’s mounted too low and hitting bottom
Would you use the 3M stick on for the Stern Pad or drill and screw it to the transom also? I"m not sure one would hold the large transducers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
An in-hull is going to require an area of solid glass to work properly. Some cored hull boats have an area or two in the aft bilge area for it.

A thru-hull will require drilling and sealing a rather large hole to protect the core and in my experience doesn't always provide good depth readings in very shallow water.

I'd stick with the transom mount, epoxy the screw holes, and relook the mounting location and method.

Bob at Inshore Marine Specialties in Oakland Park could handle it for sure.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just epoxied a 1" thick (a full 1") hardwood block to the transom, It's about 2½" x 5" and I screwed my big 3 way transducer to that. No holes in transom. It's rock solid, Make sure you pre-drill the screw holes. If interested, I can describe my experiences learning about that.

I agree with Vinnie: if you mounted that transducer directly to a fiberglass hull, you're going to have ongoing problems and I'd be "very" concerned about water in the transom. NEVER put sheet metal screws directly into 'glass. The fibers crumble around the screw. Ask me how I know.

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,425 Posts
If it's pulling from the transom then I'd inspect the transom. This sounds weird. Maybe some pictures?

·
Registered
Marquesa
597 Posts
Just stick it to the transom, they make a larger size for the 3n1’s…it will hold.When screwing the ducer to the stern pad, make sure the screws are not going to go all the way through the stern pad.

Having said all that, do you really need/want the 3n1? For them to be effective, they need to be below the running surface. This means every time you are poling shallow enough to bump bottom, you are dragging the ducer which in turn knocks it out of alignment.
If you don’t really need the side scan, fill the holes touch with gel coat and install a “shoot thru”. If installed correctly, you can hold depth readings at 30+mph

Would you use the 3M stick on for the Stern Pad or drill and screw it to the transom also? I"m not sure one would hold the large transducers.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, all. As Loogie suggests, I'd like to keep the temperature feature. Do the shoot thru transducers have that feature? I'd be a little concerned about a large hole required for one also. Here's a picture of the stern and the two mounting holes:
Rectangle Flooring Automotive lighting Floor Wood

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,425 Posts
Went out and took a picture of mine. Almost looks like your is mounted too low possibility? The fact that it’s pulling the screws out of the transom would point me towards either it’s mounted low and there is a lot of pressure on it possible while running or maybe poling.

Second possibility is that area of the core is weak or something and you can’t get a good bite with the screws.

crappy nighttime picture.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Rim

·
Registered
316 Posts
You guys reminded me - my old Garmin 240 Blue fishfinder had a transducer mount with a "pop-up" feature that snapped loose from a catch when you hit something with it and let the transducer swing up. It was adjustable for tension.

It was a little awkward to re-set - had to reach down with a gaff handle or some such to push it down till it snapped back in place......but I popped mine several times, so the inconvenience was worth saving a transducer.

I've looked online and can't find anything like it. Any ideas ??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts