Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to keep it under $20000. I want no larger than a 30 Hp motor. A built in gas tank is a plus, as is a live bait well. So far my internet shopping has brought me to...
East Cape Glide (love these boats but not close and may be hard to find in my price range, East coast not close)
Skull Island 16 (These look great and come well equipped but for the price I could equip the Ibis better, East coast not close)
Ankona Shadowcast (very light weight boat can go with a much smaller motor, but really barebones with few options, East coast not close)
Mangrove Bay Ibis (good standard equipment and options list a local Tampa company with a lifetime transferable warranty)

So at this point I've sort of made up my mind on the Ibis but I'd listen to any good arguments for the others or one I haven't considered.

·
Bait Hater
553 Posts
I'm trying to keep it under $20000. I want no larger than a 30 Hp motor. A built in gas tank is a plus, as is a live bait well. So far my internet shopping has brought me to...
East Cape Glide (love these boats but not close and may be hard to find in my price range, East coast not close)
Skull Island 16 (These look great and come well equipped but for the price I could equip the Ibis better, East coast not close)
Ankona Shadowcast (very light weight boat can go with a much smaller motor, but really barebones with few options, East coast not close)
Mangrove Bay Ibis (good standard equipment and options list a local Tampa company with a lifetime transferable warranty)

So at this point I've sort of made up my mind on the Ibis but I'd listen to any good arguments for the others or one I haven't considered.
I own a Skull Island 16 and it continues to impress me after almost 5 years of ownership. This skiff handles like a sports car in turns, polls effortlessly, is super dry in chop thanks to the spray rails and Carolina flair up front, and handles waves/chop surprising well due to the sharp entry. The fit and finish on the skiff is incredible as well. On par with the high end skiffs today. And this boat has a ton of dry storage for being small.

I don't know much about the Ibis, but you cannot go wrong with an East Cape Glide or any Ankona, either.

B

·
0 Posts
If you are waiting til’ next year then get in your vehicle and drive north about 30-45 minutes. There you will find a little tarp covered carport and the beginnings of a beautiful thing I call X-Caliber. I won’t be in production until about the time you are ready to buy but will have two prototypes ready within the next few months and would lobe to take you for a wet test and see what ya think.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Wasn't there a version of the Salt Marsh Heron 16 for like $17k at some point?? May have been an introductory price a few years ago
Yes....my price list has a Heron 16 Lodge Package that includes a 30hp Suzuki tiller and aluminum trailer at $17,150. It’s barebones but still a functional nice skiff. Note-this is a June ‘18 price sheet.

Email Rose for current pricing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check out ibp its now being built in Tampa right on Gunn Hwy close to 54. Bonefish boatworks is the name and do quality work.
Not a great web presence. saw some pictures of a used 16' boat and a very basic but also very cheap 14' boat. I may need to stop off there on my way home and have a firsthand look at them. I drive up Gunn Hwy to 54 every evening on my way home to Hudson.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
@Paul Chancey I can only speak on the Ankona/Salt Marsh/Tavernier lines but there are few models we have that, if you keep the builds light and simple, can get you on the water within your budget. The Heron 16 Lodge is possible with your motor specifications and your budget. You are definitely going to have to go with a tiller model regardless of the skiff you choose. The Native SUV 17, Salt Marsh 1656, the ShadowCast 16 and 18, Salt Marsh 1444, and even the Tavernier 17 could be added to your list that you may want to check out. Let me know if I can help further.

Reactions: Glenn Charles

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Not a great web presence. saw some pictures of a used 16' boat and a very basic but also very cheap 14' boat. I may need to stop off there on my way home and have a firsthand look at them. I drive up Gunn Hwy to 54 every evening on my way home to Hudson.
I fish Hudson all the time if you are fishing this area you definitely want a shallow draft skiff. I have a Ankona had two different models at one time. Great boats and people. For our area all the boats would fit the bill. Since you have time before you decide definitely check out what boatbrains is building. Going to be a perfect skiff for our area.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You
Wasn't there a version of the Salt Marsh Heron 16 for like $17k at some point?? May have been an introductory price a few years ago
You guys aren't making my decision easy another great looking skiff, didn't see any pics on their website but there were some good write ups in Florida Sportsman with good pics. Definitely another to check out. Another of those east coast Ft Pierce companies though, seems like they make a lot of good boats over there.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Paul,
Have a lead on a GLIDE that will be in your budget, and it comes composite with a new warranty from us too! He's an original owner and its in amazing shape! He has owned many skiffs by us and recently added an EVOx and a Bay to his line up. Call me at 321.217.1086 if you want info sir?
Kevin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Th
If you are waiting til’ next year then get in your vehicle and drive north about 30-45 minutes. There you will find a little tarp covered carport and the beginnings of a beautiful thing I call X-Caliber. I won’t be in production until about the time you are ready to buy but will have two prototypes ready within the next few months and would lobe to take you for a wet test and see what ya think.
Thanks Boatbrains, I may do that, love to see what you are making and pick you brain on a few things. Like you said I have nothing but time and my kayak for the next year anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Paul,
Have a lead on a GLIDE that will be in your budget, and it comes composite with a new warranty from us too! He's an original owner and its in amazing shape! He has owned many skiffs by us and recently added an EVOx and a Bay to his line up. Call me at 321.217.1086 if you want info sir?
Kevin
Wonderful boat, I'm sure it will be gone by next year but I'll check back with you when time gets close in case it isn't

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fish Hudson all the time if you are fishing this area you definitely want a shallow draft skiff. I have a Ankona had two different models at one time. Great boats and people. For our area all the boats would fit the bill. Since you have time before you decide definitely check out what boatbrains is building. Going to be a perfect skiff for our area.
Hey makin moves, if you fish shallow in Hudson all the time, I've noticed some salt water creeks I'd like to explore on my kayak sometime when the onshore wind isn't about t tip me over a few miles south of me (kind of a long paddle) near a place called Lighter Bayou. You ever get in there and if you did, did you do any good?
Lighter Bayou.png

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Hey makin moves, if you fish shallow in Hudson all the time, I've noticed some salt water creeks I'd like to explore on my kayak sometime when the onshore wind isn't about t tip me over a few miles south of me (kind of a long paddle) near a place called Lighter Bayou. You ever get in there and if you did, did you do any good?
View attachment 67092
Hey get out of my spots!!;) all of those feeder creeks hold nice reds and snook. I've fished those exact ones. You could also slide the kayak in off old Dixie Hwy back by the mine and fish Filmans Bay. It is a little piece of paradise that will have anything from reds, trout, snook, Cobia and on and on. I've even chased tarpon on the flats just outside of filmans.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey get out of my spots!!;) all of those feeder creeks hold nice reds and snook. I've fished those exact ones. You could also slide the kayak in off old Dixie Hwy back by the mine and fish Filmans Bay. It is a little piece of paradise that will have anything from reds, trout, snook, Cobia and on and on. I've even chased tarpon on the flats just outside of filmans.
Thanks for the update..and mums the word ok?

·
Registered
390 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts