Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably going to buy new and customize unless I see something used for sale that will fit my needs. Will mainly use to fly fish the Florida panhandle; flats and backwater fishing. Would love to hear any advice from current or previous owners.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I fly fish on a buddy's LT10, primarily in backcountry creeks in NE FLA. He has a 9.9 tiller which is fine, actually moves us both surprisingly well. He uses a tiller extension arm and sits on cooler or that new Yeti chair closer to the middle of the boat-- this is key to level the boat out. He has back and front decks, open middle. front deck has top hatch, also nice for anchor storage/life jacket, rope, etc. Fuel tank under back deck opening. He uses a collapsable fiberglass push pole which is fine for skinny water. His first motor fell off (recovered 6 months later and his dad now uses!!!) and his second motor is now bolted on--key to do this.

When running, I sit on front deck facing backwards. When running, the whole floor flexes and bounces, which can be fun to watch. Ive never felt "unsafe" but you have to be heads up with other boats around. We do get wet but that's to be expected. Poles extremely easy as you'd imagine, is quiet too. He actually has ran this boat 90+ miles solo in the Everglades a few times now, loaded with extra fuel and camp gear. Some guides at the Flamingo ramp thought he was crazy...he is.

If you and a buddy want to fish and don't care about speed, or if you dont have much open water to cross, this is a great platform. We've taken the motor off and used it as a canoe for juvie tarpon as well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Forgot to mention that he used to tow with a small mazda 3 sedan...U-Haul will put a hitch on anything

·
I Love microskiff.com!
139 Posts
I like mine but it’s definitely a specialized boat which is good at some things and horrible at others.

Go with front hatch and open floor with cooler seat (sporty conditions require passenger to move aft).

I have a carbon marine bench for seat/polling platform. 15-16” is about right. Any less and you will have trouble clearing motor. 45 yeti would also do the trick. 18-19’ push pole is perfect.

Boat runs best with a 15 2 stroke or 20 efi 4 stroke, but coast guard rating disagrees. 9.9 should move almost 20 with 2 people so not bad. I get 24 mph fully loaded with a mercury 15 2 stroke.

Don’t plan on crossing open water and you’ll be fine. Boat pushes really easy but doesn’t track well. Crabs really bad with wind. Hull slap is controllable by adding weight forward.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a highsider, which isn’t as stable as the LT10 but shares a lot of performance characteristics. I’d recommend a hydrofoil of some type, especially when solo. Allows you to tilt the motor out to keep the bow up when things get really sporty, or keep the bow down to plane out when you don’t have passenger weight up front. I tow with a Hyundai Elantra GT and it’s fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
FBB73AA3-3F3B-40E8-B42F-91BE50A79ACD.jpeg
Probably going to buy new and customize unless I see something used for sale that will fit my needs. Will mainly use to fly fish the Florida panhandle; flats and backwater fishing. Would love to hear any advice from current or previous owners.
I myself bit the bullet on the classic. She’s my first.It was split decision between the Lt 10 and classic. The lt 25 was just out of my price range.
I feel the LT-10 isn’t too far from a high sider 15’4 ( personally haven’t had too much experience on them and does not fit my needs). I spent the budget on the simplest ,stock, clean set up. Classic and a Yamaha 20. I feel just that extra bit of width on the transom makes the biggest difference.Id rather have more stability , instead of push pole holders or a front hatch ,etc. I think it’s easy to over simplify a Lt-10 with options that are attractive.
At the end of the day I have my pros and cons with the classic. I now know how I’d exactly customize the next hull If I decide to get one.I can’t get into the no motor zones because I bolted in a 20 and that was a reason I wanted one I down sized from a J-16 knowing there would be trade offs. In all gheenoe I think the wind is a huge variable as it seems to blow these hulls around as fast as a kayak . I see a high sider/lt 10 at the launch ,see the difference in stability and am happy I went classic w a 20 I do 24 knots which is pretty fun on a good weather day
There’s a thread in the fly fishing section with a ton of great information about fly fishing solo. “Blind Casting” I’ve been able to use that information to better my skills while sightfishing on the fly solo in the classic .

I went down to JD Outdoors in Miami and took a couple of pictures of the rod holders on the lt 10s to see what I can do about my current situation. Best of luck! All gheenoe have their place ,I am convinced of that.
CA9F8CBE-00DA-4FDF-A312-36771A300F21.jpeg

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
139 Posts
Hydrofoil is not nescessary on the LT10. I removed the permatrim I had on my motor. It was very helpful on my NMZ though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
not a LT10, but very similar hulls.

* SOLD *

1 - 11 of 11 Posts