Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Costa is now just a brand for one of the mega glass companies. It will all be off-shored. Maui Jim as far as I know is still a small, US based sunglass company.

"Charenton-le-Pont France-based Essilor acquired Costa in 2014, three years after buying another local sunglass company, StyleMark, which was based at the Ormond Beach airport business park.

Essilor merged with Italy-based Luxottica in 2017 to create the world’s largest maker of sunglasses, prescription and reading glasses and contact lenses. The combined company’s brands include Oakley, RayBan, Michael Kors and LensCrafters."

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been wearing the same pair of Costa glasses for 15 years. Been through 2 sets of lenses and 3-4 sets of arms. On the last reorder of arms I was informed they no longer make my model (wave killers). I bought three sets. I was also informed that this was their number one seller.....my reply was " y'all discontinued your #1 seller?" She said it seems so. Still doesn't make sense to me

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I used to like them

Sent my fathoms in a few years ago and they sent me the new style fathoms with a rubber nose piece. It was a downgrade from the old ones. I use them as a backup pair on the boat but that's about it.

They did save my eye from an accident once. I was running a tiller and I hit something which sent my head into the battery that I hadn't permanently mounted yet. I did get a cut above my eye from the frame but the lens didn't break and my eye was fine. The Costas were fine.

My favorite thing about Costa was the automated recording they had. "It's summer and everyone is breaking their glasses" then it would roll into Jimmy buffet or the like.

I wear Maui Jim's now and haven't thought about glasses since

·
I Love microskiff.com!
642 Posts
Sad for the loss of jobs in our state, couldn’t care less about Costa. Ever since they turned into a “status symbol” for high school kids to drive around in lifted pickup trucks (pre-YETI), their quality has been in the dump and they’ve refused to warranty anything.

They are just following the corporate wealth extraction model. They’ve established a reputation of quality and have mainstream appeal to keep selling. Production will move to China, quality will degrade much further, prices will stay the same. They will claim it’s built just as well as it’s always been, but they will fall apart much faster and not be as clear optically.

There’s a small chance they will keep building their top few models well, so they can keep the business of guides and people that are willing to pay max $. They can also continue pointing to those to pat themselves on the back about how great they are.

Warranty service should actually improve, as if they can get production costs of a $250 pair of glasses down to ~ $12, they should be able to keep giving away new pairs until the end of time. I doubt that will be the case though, you’ll just get a message that says “Sorry about your luck, here’s a coupon for 30% off a new pair.”

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.