Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,650 Posts
You might be looking at a jon boat or gheenoe in that price range. Or you might be able to find an old Mitzi or something that needs some work, but that could be tough.

Key West 1520 is a great boat that would be around that price depending on power. Although it's got a little more deadrise than a typical poling skiff, it still gets plenty shallow for most all areas in Charleston, and actually lets you run through some chop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might be looking at a jon boat or gheenoe in that price range. Or you might be able to find an old Mitzi or something that needs some work, but that could be tough.

Key West 1520 is a great boat that would be around that price depending on power. Although it's got a little more deadrise than a typical poling skiff, it still gets plenty shallow for most all areas in Charleston, and actually lets you run through some chop.

Awesome, thanks a ton!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1 Posts
I have a minor project I would part with. 2005 Microdraft 20. 60 hp Merc. Less than 100 hrs but has been sitting several years (inside warehouse). Needs: oil change/tune up, steering greased, batteries (3), topside paint. Shoot me an email address if you have interest. I intend to do the project myself but I have 3 kids 5 and under and so it goes....its a 2nd boat for me and I barely have time to use 1.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I love the Gheenoe LT25. Get her stripped out and do the deck work yourself. There are some dealers that should have last years model you can find on a deal.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am selling a J16 Carolina skiff for $3,700 that has done me right for years. I extended the front deck and put a yeti cooler and strap downs in the back for a poling platform. It has a 25 hp Mercury in awesome shape that pushes 25MPH. I have caught many a red off that boat and I still love it. It also has an 80 thrust MK and good GPS finder. Check the classified section. I have been out of the country for a while but get back Friday. I plan to bump it in the classified when I get back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would be real cautious of that outdrive or whatever those engine brackets are called the Gheen transom is not very strong to begin with . I would make sure it has been done proper if that's the rig you like .

·
I Love microskiff.com!
30 Posts
I'd rather spend a little more and get an actual boat, than a gheenoe knock off. Even a gheenoe is very limiting. A true flats boat in the $5-7k range will be much more universal than a gheenoe style. I have a gheenoe and same length flats boat. I wouldn't fish half the days I do with my gheenoe as I do in the flats boat. Not even considering cargo space.

Gheenoe's are great for super skinny water and very very protected waters, but I wouldn't cross a bay in one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd rather spend a little more and get an actual boat, than a gheenoe knock off. Even a gheenoe is very limiting. A true flats boat in the $5-7k range will be much more universal than a gheenoe style. I have a gheenoe and same length flats boat. I wouldn't fish half the days I do with my gheenoe as I do in the flats boat. Not even considering cargo space.

Gheenoe's are great for super skinny water and very very protected waters, but I wouldn't cross a bay in one.

What kind of Gheenoe do you have (classic or a 15' 4' highsider)? Your comment made me second guess my search for a Gheenoe.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
30 Posts
What kind of Gheenoe do you have (classic or a 15' 4' highsider)? Your comment made me second guess my search for a Gheenoe.
15 highsider. But even in a classic it's pretty sketch. Check this guy out. He's claiming 2ft chop, but looks smaller to me. He's getting beat, and I've heard of people cracking hulls from that. I've been in same in a 15' flats and no issue. Just trim and go. Hell, the lake I live on gets worse than that. I've been on a flat bay and had 2-3's roll in fast. Being 15' I couldn't burn in, but I could ease in without worry. Wouldn't even attempt to make the run in a gheenoe. I can ease out the rough pass and hit offshore as well on a calm day. Gheenoe probably wouldn't make it through the pass, even though it was calm offshore. Don't get me wrong. Gheenoes are great for their intended purpose, but that purpose isn't a do-it all inshore boat. It's a calm water vessel that gets skinny. Venture out of that and you better be watching the skies and hope the ramp is close.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts