Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Went to a couple of WNC DH steams last weekend and started with all the junk food without success (to be fair, I suck at trout). Smaller fish in shallower water were taking something off the top, but I could never figure out what. Good fish were holding in deep water so I needed heavier flies to get to them, but they had no interest in larger things like wooly buggers. Eventually had some success with pheasant tails under stimulators, though I'm not sure the stimulator was of any use and the nymph was like 4 feet under it.

I haven't seen anyone mention copper johns yet, but I like them as the combo of double wire and the bead help them sink quickly. They were useful in getting down to the fish. I tried to take a couple of pics for you, but I'm sure you'll get more detailed photos from a quick google.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Just had a great time fishing for rainbows in NC mountains.
I tie flies just as a way to decompress.

Would love any patterns/ flies you like so I can build up my quiver for the next trip.
Please feel free to post any pics or pattern/ color you find best.

Some will be going to my brother who fishes in CO.
Although this EP minnow is typically used in saltwater, I’ve been having great days using the fly on freshwater trout.
Water Insect Reptile Liquid Dragonflies and damseflies

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So, while I was there- my guide let me try out Euro-Nymphing. It was really interesting- and did well.
2wt rod- really long- my guess is 10 foot- and a really different method.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
So, while I was there- my guide let me try out Euro-Nymphing. It was really interesting- and did well.
It’s a very effective method for many reasons. Your flies really fish unaffected by the current and they fish close to the bottom where there’s less current (also where the trout spend most of their time)!

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,413 Posts
Back in the day we called it "high sticking." I have literally caught trout less than a foot from my boot toe, and many, many from less than 6 ft away.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
301 Posts
I would master every form size and thorax color of a pheasant tail. From 24 to 10. Soft hackles, beadheads, unweighted and glass beaded (mercury PT). You can catch trout 12 months of year consistently with a well tied pheasant tail.

Hand Arthropod Insect Organism Finger

other varietals I employ regularly…
Arthropod Insect Organism Plant Terrestrial plant

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.