SOLD/EXPIRED Looking for my perfect flats boat

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by captainjoshgarcia, Jun 11, 2015.

1. captainjoshgarcia

captainjoshgarcia I Love microskiff.com!

Hey all-

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for my perfect flats boat - I am moving to the FL Keys in a month to chase Bonefish, Tarpon, Cuda and sharks on the flats and will need a boat by then. What I am looking for is a center console with a draft of 7" or less, in the 16-18' range. The makes I am considering include Ankona, East Cape and Beavertail, and the max I can spend is $18.5k.

Thanks in advance for any leads!

Josh

2. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

The Vantage a few posts down would be a great rig for the Keys..

3. captainjoshgarcia

Thanks After Hours, and I agree. However the price of 45k is more than double the amount I am looking to spend. I am working with a budget of 18.5k or less.

4. AfterHours2

Older Maverick, Hewes or Action Craft. Find one with newer 4 stroke power and you will be set..

Oops. 7" draft may be tough with a 4 stroke..

5. Dave_S

Dave_S I Love microskiff.com!

I have an 06 17 ft Mitzi with a 50 hp Yamaha that I am getting ready to post if you are interested
    I can send you pics

6. jonterr

jonterr I Love microskiff.com!

Daves Mitzi looks sweet!!!
    Or bump it up and go HB!
    Personally, id save some $$$ and go reasonable!
    Id Love to live in the Keys!
    Good luck! :D

7. jonterr

jonterr I Love microskiff.com!

Hell fire
    The gladesman looks sweet too!
    If its just you, go small and save some $$$
    Sorry , hoggin post! ;D

8. CaptainRob

CaptainRob Hell's Bay 17.8 Whipray

Find a used HB 17.8 or 16 whipray. Can be had close to your price range and will serve you well for both applications. Only issue might be the center console part, but you might be surprised how nice a side console can be. I was a center console guy until I bought my current boat and I might never own a center console again.....SO much more cockpit space now.

9. roto77777

roto77777 Well-Known Member

There is a sweet lappy 16 Bonefisher for sale a few pages down. It won't go 7", but it will still float very shallow. It will also do well crossing bigger water, and you can take it to the patch reefs, or anchor up for tarpon in the passes.

10. captainjoshgarcia

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Captain Rob I would love to find a HB 17.8 or 16 whipray. I would certainly consider a side console if the right boat came along. I will be fishing 5 days a week so I really want to spend as close to my 18.5k budget as possible to insure I get the most boat I can afford. I have been considering Ankona because the shallow draft and price point. I love the BT micro also. I have seen a few HB and East Cape skiffs listed here in the past in my budget that I would have jumped on. Shallow draft is a must as we will be poling the backcountry in the lower keys quite frequently.

11. CaptainRob

CaptainRob Hell's Bay 17.8 Whipray

Just be patient....the HB's do come available. Just make sure you are ready when one shows up.

12. AfterHours2

If he was interested, I know for a fact the Gladesmen is a super nice rig ;)

13. captainjoshgarcia

The Glades does look super nice but it is a tiller and I am looking for a center console or maybe even a side.

14. grego

grego Well-Known Member

I agree...

15. captainjoshgarcia

For sure if I had a budget of 45k I would be all over that Vantage. It is beautiful.

16. jacobjalvarado

jacobjalvarado I Love microskiff.com!

IMHO the Hewes Bonefisher is a great all around boat.  My friend owns a 1991 Bonefisher and it will get a lot more skinny than you would think... It has a 60 high thrust 4 stroke Yamaha and we have poled through 6-7 inches of water no problem.  I am much heavier than him and when I hop out it floats in 5 inches easily.  We have poled through the same shallow water his friend with a BT Strike was going through.  And the Bonefisher can handle chop and winds like no other.  Its has a super dry ride no matter the conditions.  The only time it has ever been wet was crossing a shipping channel right before a storm.  You can pick a nice one up a lot less than your budget and trick it out however you would like.  Hope you find a great boat!

17. flytyn

flytyn I Love microskiff.com!

Be patient and buy quality.  test ride several brands.  I'd rather pay up a little for quality vs buying a brand that will not hold up.  Resale should be a consideration because all of us end up selling what we own now at some point in the future. 

18. LOUMan

LOUMan Well-Known Member

unfortunately good boats dont come cheap. be patient. make sure the boat will do everything you want it to do. there is no such thing as a perfect all around boat. every boat or almost every boat will do some thing better than others and vice versa. So just oick the one that will fill your needs the most

19. Mfeldman

Mfeldman I Love microskiff.com!

My Beavertail B2 is in your price range.

20. jsnipes

jsnipes Well-Known Member

For fishing the keys & at that price point, buying a used Maverick is clearly the way to go. There's a reason that like 80% of the guides fish out of the same boat.

Find an older Mirage II or HPX with new-ish power and don't think twice. Great boat, can fish anywhere, handles rough water.