Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm planning a trip to Sandestin/Miramar in July. We don't have a boat, or a skiff, but we want to fish from the bank. Do people fish from the beach in this area? If so, what sort of outfit should I bring? I have surf rods for sharks and redfish, and bass rods for trout and flounder. I'm used to catching my own bait in a cast net, and I use soft plastic swim baits. I appreciate any info.

FISH ON!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Are you staying on the beach side of Sandestin? If you are, you will probably have to walk down a bit to fish from the beach. Sandestin has one of the most crowded beaches in the area. You might be able to fish at dawn but there will be too many people swimming by 8 AM. Sandestin resort is also on the bay. There are some flats back there that you could wade for Reds and trout. Also some paddle boards and kayaks you can rent. Honestly though, the best in shore fishing in July is at night around the lights. There are many golf courses on Sandestin that hold bass. If you want to shark fish at night, this a good place for it. Just east of there is a little trench that runs about 10 miles off shore. And these big sharks will follow the trench in close and then cruise along the shore. I have seen so many big sharks close into the beach in that area, which coincidentally has a lot of swimmers. most of the sharks stay beyond the 2nd sandbar. But there was a fatal attack of a 14 year old girl there about 10 years ago. so if you do shark fish I wouldn't talk about it. If you can bring a kayak or a paddle board, you can paddle a mile out and catch Kings, etc. Hope this helps some and I would be glad to answer any more questions you might have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Padre!! That is all some great info. I'll hit you up with more questions, should they arise. I love fishing under the lights at night too. We're staying at a rental on the Baytowne Golf Course. I wonder if they let you fish those little lakes...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Thank you, Padre!! That is all some great info. I'll hit you up with more questions, should they arise. I love fishing under the lights at night too. We're staying at a rental on the Baytowne Golf Course. I wonder if they let you fish those little lakes...
Yeah then you are in a good spot. Fish the lights at night. You can fish the lakes on the course in the afternoon when the golfers are gone. Plus there other lakes back in there that are not on the course and I see people fishing them all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts