Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of heading up to Charleston at the end of October and was curious to get some feedback. Looking for guide recommendations (I'm a fly guy)as well as an area of town to stay in, specific hotels, restaurants, places not to miss etc., if anyone has any they like.

Gonna mainly be a sight seeing trip with the wife but it would be a sin not to include some fishing:).

·
Registered
283 Posts
We stay in Folly Beach 2 or 3 times a year. The drive over to Charleston is short. There are a couple of bars right there on the beach and a boat ramp. There are quite a few air bnb's there also.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,527 Posts
If you want a fly guide, look up Harris Dudley. Take notes, you will learn. Also, the waterfront restaurants in Mt Pleasant are great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hotels in Mt. Pleasant are affordable and are practically a 5min drive anywhere. I’d recommend eating at Martins BBQ Joint on James Island. You’ll most likely run into a guide or vet angler there.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I’ve never hired a guide in the area so listen to everyone else, but if you’re close to downtown, take your lady to Poogans Porch for dinner, my wife’s favorite. Make a reservation anywhere you plan to go on a weekend. If you like naval history, check out the USS Yorktown. Your wife will make you walk through the open market and possibly talk you into a carriage tour. It is a foodie town, and every restaurant has a beard award that’s local, and definitely don’t believe everything on yelp. Hope this helps

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve never hired a guide in the area so listen to everyone else, but if you’re close to downtown, take your lady to Poogans Porch for dinner, my wife’s favorite. Make a reservation anywhere you plan to go on a weekend. If you like naval history, check out the USS Yorktown. Your wife will make you walk through the open market and possibly talk you into a carriage tour. It is a foodie town, and every restaurant has a beard award that’s local, and definitely don’t believe everything on yelp. Hope this helps
Some good poogan and USS Yorktown is a good day. Was about to recommend the same.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some good poogan and USS Yorktown is a good day. Was about to recommend the same.
Man you guys are making this easy!

One more consideration, I love to pole around new water just to check it out, but I wasn't planning on taking a boat, just maybe a guide for one day Would anyone advise trailering a boat up from Florida just to explore? In the pictures I have seen it looks pretty cool, just don't know how much area is up there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Man you guys are making this easy!

One more consideration, I love to pole around new water just to check it out, but I wasn't planning on taking a boat, just maybe a guide for one day Would anyone advise trailering a boat up from Florida just to explore? In the pictures I have seen it looks pretty cool, just don't know how much area is up there.
I recommend possibly contacting a guide for areas that would be good. Charleston has a LOT of backcountry and good fish. Just driving around close to downtown and in those areas you can see mud flats and such if you’re close to the water. Very beautiful place see.

·
Lip Ripper
1,715 Posts
I’d recommend a guide as well. If you’re not fishing the whole time I’m not sure it’d be worth it to take the skiff. I’d recommend staying away from hanks seafood, hymans seafood, and sticky fingers bbq. Mostly tourist traps with mediocre food. Literally every where else downtown is good.

Reactions: Water Bound
1 - 16 of 16 Posts