Looking for Charleston Recommendations

Discussion in 'Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina' started by ZaneD, Jan 29, 2018.

1. ZaneD

ZaneD Well-Known Member

I'm working on planning a winter/early spring trip to Charleston with a friend, and i was hoping to get some tips and ideas to help put it together. I'll be bringing and fishing out of my Shadowcast 16.

1. What is a good general area to fish in the colder months? (not looking for secret spots, just general info such as good ramps to launch from).

2. Where are a couple places that I could stay and keep the skiff with me?

Thanks for any help, on the off chance that someone ends up flats fishing in Virginia I can offer local info on spots here.

Thanks!

2. SCFLY

SCFLY Well-Known Member

Things are slow around here right now. Had a kill off in the cold and feb/march are typically our toughest months. Id wait a little and come fish some flood tides later in the year.

3. bryson

bryson Lowcountry Degen

Like @SCFLY said, you can probably find some fish right now, but they aren't near as interested in eating as they will be once things warm up. By March, though, you might find some more agreeable fish.

Are you locked into that time of year? How flexible is your time frame?

4. Dawhoo

Dawhoo Well-Known Member

Avoid looking downtown as highly doubt any would have trailer parking. Your best bet would probably be a rental on IOP and fish the ICW and would still be close to downtown. Or towards folly and fish the Stono which will have less pressure but historically not the same quality of fishing.

flysalt060 likes this.
  5. ZaneD

ZaneD Well-Known Member

My time frame is flexible, basically looking to do a short 2-3 day trip to break up the winter doldrums because flats fishing doesn't really get good here until may or so. Unfortunately we also had a big fish kill up here recently, it got many of the trout that hang around in the shallows when the drum head south along the coast.

6. bryson

bryson Lowcountry Degen

Yeah, a rental will probably be your best bet as far as trailer parking. There are some hotels that might have room too, but I don't know enough about them to suggest any to try. I'd stick to fishing mostly around the low tide (if you're targeting redfish), and probably avoid any predicted negative tides. The areas I would fish would be dependent on weather, but you can usually find something protected near where you stay. The good news is that boat traffic around that time is usually a little lighter.

Rundown on boat ramps (in no particular order):
    Wappoo - West Ashley/James Island area, access to both the Stono and the Ashley River. Current can whip through here pretty good, so don't be surprised if you have to wait for someone to figure out how to get their boat back on the trailer.

Limehouse - John's Island, Stono access, many people have luck up there but I haven't fished it much.

Leeds Ave - North Charleston, Ashley River access, can be very dirty water, but can also hold big fish, generally quality over quantity here, at least for me - can be tough to fish sometimes

Sol Legare - James Island/Folly Beach area, the landing has a reputation for being a little sketch, but I've never had a problem personally. Good fishing, can have some sneaky sandbars if you don't know the area, location may not be convenient depending on what you want to do other than fish

Folly River - pretty much the same fishery as Sol Legare, just a different launch. Very near Folly Beach, which is a fun area that will probably have plenty of rentals (check trailer parking situation at rental homes first though)

IOP Marina - pay to launch, but a very nice, safe area with good access to the ICW north of Charleston. Nice ramp and facilities, fuel and decent food on site, plus a good restaurant (Morgan Creek Grill)

Remleys - Mt. Pleasant, good access to Wando River and harbor. Good fishing up the Wando, but it can get crowded. Not a very protected launch as far as boat wakes and wind, but the ramp and docks are nice.

Garris - up the ICW a little ways, a good spot to avoid the bowriders for the most part, good if you're staying in Mt. P or Awendaw, but pretty far away from much else; be sure to stop at Seewee Restaurant for some artery-clogging delicousness, and Seewee Outpost for all sorts of stuff you never knew you needed.

mtoddsolomon likes this.
  7. Bluwave

Bluwave Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

I went in June of last year and rented a house on Goat Island. They provided a place to park my car but I had to find a spot for my tailer. I launched at Isle Of Palms marina and the house was right across the ICW. Had a great time.

9. bonehead

bonehead Well-Known Member

I couple of my buddies up there that I know from Instagram said the fish kill was bad, and that some of the ponds froze which killed the land-locked baby tarpon (supposedly). I second a statement above to wait until the summer for flood tides, that is of course if you bear it :)

Good luck with the trip. I've been meaning to do a Charleston redfish trip for a while now. Missed out on a couple opportunities last year but hopefully this summer...

10. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

I just happened to look up flood tides this morning. I am trying to plan a trip myself. I came up with July 10-12. August 8-11, Sept. 5-9, Oct. 4-7 and Nov. 5-9. All the spring ones seem to be happening at night.

11. Reelscreamer

Reelscreamer Well-Known Member

Fishing is thought right now in Charleston. Plain and simple it has been too cold and fish have lock jaw. The fish kill was pretty bad with a lot of trout dead and redfish as well. Still not sure why they haven’t closed trout fishing yet. I would listen to some other advice here and wait for some warmer weather. Doesn’t have to be a flood tide but gotta get the water temp back up. I am still seeing spots the water is 53. PM me for anymore help or other questions

ZaneD likes this.
  12. ZaneD

ZaneD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll keep working on putting my Charleston plan together but postpone it until march-april time frame or later. Lucky for me an opportunity popped up to head to Palm coast Florida area the first week in March so hopefully that'll satisfy my fishing withdrawals for now.

It really sucks that we've had these fish kills again this year, luckily they have closed trout season until June for both here in Virginia and in NC.

Reelscreamer likes this.