Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Looking for build ideas......

Tags
build
4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  WhiteDog70810 
#1 ·
New to the group. I'm thinking of building the fs18 I've seen a few pics but not sure of stability for two and how wet the ride is, also the places I like to fish can get pretty choppy getting in and out. Just looking for a little feedback, or maybe another skiff plan to check out before I get neck deep. Thanks......

#2 ·
I went through the same process for a long time, and after doing my research and taking to people that owned them, I realized I needed something slightly more versatile.

What I ended up doing was modifying a Spira Ka-Joe to be wider in the rear half, and adding more deadrise. Here’s my built thread, trying to get it wrapped up and on the water soon.

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/scratch-built-“glades-skiff”-on-a-budget.50393/

If you like the Bateau plans and S&AGM construction, you might look at their LM 18 and slightly raising the bow shear.

#4 ·
I've been fishing my FS18 for 3 years now so I can answer any questions you mat have, and my buddy built the Conchfish this year and we've fished it quite a bit, so I can provide insight into that boat as well. Both are excellent hulls, the FS18 has a 3" draft with a 156 pound Merc, and the Conchfish with a new 25 Yamaha short shaft, no power tilt, drafts 2.5-3". They both pole with ease, and they each have a top end of 29 mph. With my buddy at 165 and me 175 pounds they both float in about 4.5". If I have a heavier guy on the bow (210-230), of my FS18 I can feel the difference more than on his because of how narrow the bow is, but it still floats and poles great. Both boats are easy to build, mine with Okoume ply, and the Conchfish with foam. The support and guidance you get from the Bateau forum members, builders, and the designer Jacques Merten's is outstanding, making for and easy build process. Chris Morejon was also very available and helpful throughout the process, but he is currently on a long sail through the south pacific and will not always be able to answer questions immediately. Whatever you decide, consider purchasing materials from Jeff and Reid at Boat Builder Central in Fort Pierce. They are excellent to do business with, and
Water transportation Vehicle Boat Skiff Bass boat
Water transportation Boat Vehicle Skiff Speedboat
Water transportation Vehicle Boat Skiff Water
Water transportation Vehicle Boat Skiff Speedboat
are very competitive on pricing and shipping costs.

#7 ·
I enjoyed workin with ply and I like the resultant durability. I kinda wish I could go back in time and build the FS18, but I didn’t have a big enough garage at the time.

Stability is an individual taste. What I think is acceptably stable may be intolerable to you. The biggest factor isn’t the boat. In a small boat with 2 guys, you always have to think about the other guy before you move. You can’t be spazzy and you can’t move fast. You even have to warn your buddy when you step down from the deck because it can cause the boat to shimmy. If you can handle all that, these boats aren’t unstable.

If it is choppy, you’re going to get wet in technical poling skiff (~16-18’ x ~48-52”). They don’t generally have any features like spray rails or reverse chines to divert spray because such features tend to make noise.

Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.