Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here from Louisiana. I'm tossing around the idea of building an fs18. It's a nice looking skiff but not sure about stability or how wet the ride is? Looking to fish 2 people, and the water can get choppy at times and I would like to build a skiff that can handle the chaos. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks....

·
Registered
377 Posts
SUP Coon, welcome to Microskiff from Texas. Lots of helpful people on here when it comes to skiff building, however I'm not one of them, lol. Anyhow if you don't get the feedback you are looking for try posting in the General Discussion forum, you'll probably get more exposure there. Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: The CuNazz
B

·
0 Posts
Welcome aboard! A lot of folks are going with @Chris Morejohn and his conchfish design. Chris will walk you through the build and answer questions too! It is his original design for the whipray and most know this skiff was THE game changer in flats/poling skiffs!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome.. The FS18 is a take off the Hells Bay Glades skiff which was a take off of the Roberts Everglades pole boat. Its not a dry boat but it does ride OK. Id build the rounded chine version. Its a little drier and a lot quieter poling. But as Boatbrains said Morejohns Conchfish skiff is a great boat. If it was me fishing La. Id go with the Conchfish. If I was fishing tight everglades places Id go with the other.

·
BBA Counselor
6,908 Posts
The LM18 is a wider version of the FS18 so it's more stable. Neither will be very dry in a chop ir ride smooth as that's not what they are designed for. I'm building an FS17, they make a low sheer design that's probably more like what you are looking for. It's a challenge building a boat, especially from someone else's plans, but it's a fun hobby.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome.. The FS18 is a take off the Hells Bay Glades skiff which was a take off of the Roberts Everglades pole boat. Its not a dry boat but it does ride OK. Id build the rounded chine version. Its a little drier and a lot quieter poling. But as Boatbrains said Morejohns Conchfish skiff is a great boat. If it was me fishing La. Id go with the Conchfish. If I was fishing tight everglades places Id go with the other.
I dug through a ton of posts about it but cant find an image of the finished boat anywhere.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the feedback but I was referring to a finished Conchfish design. I've seen a ton of fs18s and love the design just looking to build something maybe a little more stable.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,654 Posts
I don't know if the Conchfish would be more stable, but you could consider widening the stations some to add a little more beam if you go that route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts