SOLD/EXPIRED Looking for boat to buy---limited budget!

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by narob, Feb 9, 2008.

1. narob

narob Well-Known Member

Live near Everglades City with limited boating and fishing skills. What do you recommend?

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

hire a guide... ;D :D ;)

what do you fish for 90% of the time.

3. narob

narob Well-Known Member

Always looking for snook, trout and reds---sheepshead okay, too!

4. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

One angler or do you fish with others? What do you want to do in the boat? Long distances, shallow running, troller motor fishing, poling? Something to fit in a garage? The boat won't catch you the fish, the angler will. You need to decide how you want to get to those fish then folks can offer suggestions on the type or style of skiff that may fit your needs. ;)

5. BobFLA

BobFLA Well-Known Member

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202405860

6. gheenoeguy

gheenoeguy Well-Known Member

Take A look at my 2006 Classic.

7. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

What is "Limited Budget"???

8. Captain_Shane

Captain_Shane Well-Known Member

Jon boat, Carolina skiff, Gheenoe will all work well for your area.

9. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

well, you live near an inshore fishing goldmine. I agree with the others on something modest. I think back to when I was a kid first starting to fish that area. I started in a 12ft jon boat with 6hp Evinrude and we caught everything, snook, tarpon, trout, reds, jewfish etc within a 6gal tank range of Choko.

Theres a few things about that area. One, the fish are everywhere. You don't need to go far from Everglades City, Chokoloskee or Isle of Capri, etc. to catch everything the area is known for. Another thing is until you start to know your way around, you're gonna run a ground a lot and a lot of it is hard oyster bars, which is tough on the hull and lower unit. So getting a beater boat so to speak is probably a good idea. You can always upgrade later on once you've figured out a few things.

A canoe is good too, but you have to play the tides and until you learn more about when to fish and where, you'll be more occupied with bucking current than fishing. If it were me I'd look for used 14' jon boat with 10-15 hp or so. - eric

10. ucfsae81

ucfsae81 Well-Known Member

I think back to when I was a kid first starting to fish that area. I started in a 12ft jon boat with 6hp Evinrude and we caught everything, snook, tarpon, trout, reds, jewfish etc within a 6gal tank range of Choko.

How big of a jewfish did you catch in a 12ft jon boat thats crazy

I'm selling my kayak which what i started on. And lately i've been going out with different people in different boats to see how they ride. And by doing that you start to see what you really need in a boat and what is just "extra" stuff that may not be necessary right now.

11. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

We didn't boat any big ones, they just tow the boat into the mangroves. You would need a double anchor setup to have a chance of turning one. Biggest one we ever got to the boat was probably 40-50lbs. About like this one (10yr old pic btw):

[​IMG]

most of them where under 30lbs though and caught on big live bait's like 8"-12" mullet and shad when snook fishing. However those big jewfish will eat anything, sheepshead catfish, what ever, so what most of us consider prime baits aren't necessary. Jack crevalles are good too and not too hard to find when the mullet are scarce. One thing a lot of people don't realize is the juvenile(5-30lbs) jewfish will smash surface plugs like zara spooks when plying the mangroves for snook. With the closures on them these last 30 years or so theres more now than ever. There's a few places down near the end of the faka union canal where the last time I fished the little jewfish out numbered the snook, 3-1, left a few spooks out there too. ;) - eric

12. ucfsae81

ucfsae81 Well-Known Member

wow thanks for the pic looks like you could've made quiet a few sandwichs from that thing i am a believer now it just goes to show that all you need is something that floats in the water

13. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

Thats a great idea. ;D Make a bunch of em. The boys down at the local FWC docks would really like to try one out as well i'm sure. ;)