Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 IPB14, 25YAMAHA
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a gheenoe on craigslist. The seller has said it is a 15'6" and it has a 15hp yamaha on it. Looking at the pictures the transom looks real narrow, making me think it is a 15'4" ot lt10. What would be the best way to know?
Seller is asking $3500 for what looks to be a pretty clean boat with front and rear decks, jackplate, 15 hp yamaha, trolling motor, and trailer.

Does this sound like a reasonable price and what should I look out for on a water trial?
Would the 15 horse present any issues if this boat does turn out to be only rated for the 10?

Sorry for the questions, just don't want to screw up my first boat purchase. Will move or remove if it belongs somewhere else.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
This is the right location for threads like this.

Take a tape with you if you're not familiar with those hulls, verify measurements taken from Gheenoe website against what you're seeing, so you know what you're buying. The title should give the length as well, so if that doesn't match there's something going on.

Look at the bottom for deep gouges or obvious signs of problems, scrapes are common and will not hurt anything, but large spots of exposed glass is a problem. Small spots of missing gelcoat is not the end of the world, Marine Tex will make quick work of any small spots. Check out the transom, the older ones were wood core and it may be rotten, also check around the transom for cracks. With the motor tilted up put a little pressure on the foot of the motor and see if the transom moves a lot. Keep in mind these are small boats and the transom is going to have some movement if you have any size to you at all, but it should be very minimal. Look at the trailer for major rust issues, hubs and bearings can easily be taken care of if they are worn.

The 15 will be fine on that boat, I was running a 9.9 on a 13' RiverHawk (same hull as Gheenoe) no issues.

Honestly 3500 for BMT trolling motor, with a jackplate seems like a decent deal. There is a forum member named @noeettica he knows a lot about Gheenoe's so if there's something specific he could prob answer it. Also Gheenoe has their own forum as well, so if you don't get the info you're after here, that may be another resource.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Low Hydro covered it pretty good

If it is an LT1-10 / Classic / or LT that is a good deal

The Classic has the flat spot under the nose

If a highsider it is a so so deal ...

You can post a photo here or call either shop with the HIN and they can advise you ...

Reactions: rhart6

·
Registered
2013 IPB14, 25YAMAHA
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was actually posted earlier today as a response to someone in the classified section. I would upload pictures or link it, but I don't have enough posts here yet and the file upload doesn't seem to be working. White hull, with white and black decks in Jacksonville

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fairly certain that’s a 15’4” highsider. It isn’t a terrible deal but it’s not great. If you’re patient, you can find classics for around that same price and end up with more boat.

·
Registered
2013 IPB14, 25YAMAHA
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How would you expect that to fish 2 people? I weigh about 200 and my wife can be a little less than graceful at times

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Post up that Classic !

For small tight rivers you just can't beat a Classic !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts