SOLD/EXPIRED looking for a project, can some one help me out?

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by snooknreds2, May 5, 2008.

1. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

I have recently had to down grade in the world of boats from a 17 foot dusky with a 150 yamaha to a 10 (oh maybe 12) foot john boat with a trolling motor. This is just not working for me....i can no longer do the fishing that i want to do!!!
    My plan is to obtain a project gheenoe that needs to be redone from start to finish. I am very capable of doing fiberglass work and am not afraid of a boat that is in a less than perfect condition.
    I would be willing to trade the john boat that i have towards the gheenoe

my other option that i was considering is to obtain a old fiberglass canoe, literally cutting the back of it off and then fiberglassing a new aft section on to the boat that would be shaped like a gheenoe....will this work??? I am sure i am not the only person to ever think of doing that??

Any help here would be greatly appreciated :D

2. wiggles6983

wiggles6983 Well-Known Member

Re: looking for a project, can some one help me ou

Could build an FS-18, pretty cheap, fund as you go, works great.

3. Re: looking for a project, can some one help me ou

I saw the title of the post, and I was gonna say you could come paint my house? ;D

Seriously, you should look for an older johnson or mitchell skiff hull and rebuild that. they are great little rides and very versitile.

4. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

I see your in Ft. Lauderdale... so am I... you could always just hire a guide once a month... (wink, wink)

If I were you I would find a good used Ghaynoe or skiff and just run it till the bottom falls off. There are several around for sale and they resell usually well.

If you want a project, you end up spend twice what you think it will cost and take twice as long as you think it should have. I'd rather spend my free time fishing than werkin.

There was a boat hull in Miami for sale. It looks like an old Silver King (titled as homemade).

Good luck in your search!

Cheers
    Capt. Jan

5. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I have a flat bottom wooden Dingy needs gunnels and a transom ... Got somthinginteresting to trade

Free trailer ... if we deal on the dingy Photas soon Dave

6. snooknreds2

Could you explain what that is? I am new to this micro skiff thing and do not know the lingo yet :'(

7. snooknreds2

Capt jan thanks for the heads up, but the thing is I really enjoy the whole project side of it...once your done you appreciate the boat so much more after all your hard work!! I have rebuilt many a boats and know just what you are talking about....even with all my experience it still ALWAYS takes more time and money than what you plan on....that is the truth no matter how you look at it!! The other thing is I already have all (well most) the materials i need for a project of this nature. I have a entire roll of carbon fiber (I know how to mesh it with fiberglass properly ;)) along with four gallons of polyester resin (you really should use epoxy when using carbon fiber but i got the poly for free).

I also just need something to work on after i get home from work so i can get my mind clear and do something the way I want to do it not the way my boss wants it done ;D

TO ALL WHO REPLYED.... thank you for your replys and keep them coming...even the project of finding a project boat is mentally doing me good...anything to forget that i am at work :D

8. snooknreds2

?????

9. captnron

captnron Guest

Read here:
    http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=FS18

Then look up the FS-18 builds here:
    http://forums.bateau2.com/viewforum.php?f=2

several forum members here are building for themselves. ;)

10. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

More like sanding them into submission.

11. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

If you are going out and buying a canoe to convert you are going to find like Imac said also. It would be worth it if you already had one laying around or got a free one. Used canoe and materials will run around $500-$600 + your time. Canoe does not have the outrigger sides like a gheenoe anyway. So if it is a Gheenoe you want look through craigslist and local classified and web and see what you can find. I found an overpainted 13'r with a really good trailer for $650 last year. Craigslist your jon or list it on here and go from there is my advice.

Take a look at this;http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1200436703/0#0

"sanding into submission" [smiley=1-lmao.gif]

12. captnron

captnron Guest

yep, that's hard core Boob for ya. I think his goal is to lose his finger prints in the process so that when he's done , he can flee and never be traced. ;)

13. snooknreds2

Like I said I am looking for a project boat can any one help me out ;D ;D ;D

I already have almost all the materials that I will need to do the project, carbon fiber (forget fiberglass use da Carbon man!!!!) and polyester resign (four gallons of it) so all I need is to find the boat that is laying on the side of someones house that they dont want!!!

That thread you put up is a SICK boat and minus all the wood decking it is what I plan on doing more or less....everyone keeps saying its allot of time just buy one...but that is the whole point...i need a PROJECT to clear my mind after work, not a boat I can buy and use with in a month of work...I am looking for something I can put quite a bit of time into (a couple months probably no less than 6 months if I find the ragged boat that that fits in my price range.....$100 or less)