Looking for a new truck

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iMacattack, Apr 26, 2010.

1. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Few options to replace my 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab.

1) Ford F250 Super Cab w/ 6L Diesel
    2) Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab W/5.9 L I6 Cummins turbodiesel
    3) Dodge Dakota Quad Cab V8
    3) Toyota Tundra/Takoma V8 in Tundra/V6 in Takoma.

I looked at a nice F250 but I'm a little ocncerned by the problems with the 6L International Diesels.

Decisions Decisions... P.S. I'm looking in the used market.

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I will offer some advice from personal experience.

I had the F250 diesel for several years. Loved the truck, can pull anything you can imagine, can buy fuel at the super truck stops at lower prices - BUT you need an empty parking lot to turn around. The footprint in the driveway is tremendous and from where you live, needs to be a concern.

I now have the Dakota 4 door v8 and like everything about it except that it sucks gas (got better mileage with the F250). Will pull enough but you will find your limits of comfort.

Have friends with Ram's and they liked the Ford better except for they get a discount on Dodge products.

I have had other v6's and even though they will pull your small skiff I prefer the 8's.

With that said you should buy your Dakota back.

3. gheenoe

gheenoe Got snook?

I would only own another diesel if I needed it for work or had a big trailer to tow.

I would choose the tundra with V8. Just not a fan of dodge trucks.

4. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

I'll go for Ford F-250 6.4 powerstroke diesel and it's awesome truck.  My father has a 2008 Ford F-250 6.4 powerstroke diesel crew cab lariet loaded with almost 90,000 miles on it.  Zero problems so far, gets around 20-21 MPG on the highway and 14 in town.

I'm looking for a new truck also and haven't bought one yet....  I'm looking at the Dodge 2500 larmine with 5.9 cummins diesel pre-2007 model before 6.7 cummins come out.  5.9 cummins is the best motor I ever ran and very reliable 300,000 miles.

I would stay away from Ford 2003-2006.5  6.0 powerstroke...I'm not a fan of this motor.

so I will go for DODGE 2500 5.9 cummins diesel crew cab 4x4 automatic transmisson and This is what I'll be looking for one.  My Buddy has same truck 5.9 cummins get around 23 MPG in the HWY wiith bullydog programmer.  He running a 2005 5.9 cummins 3500 Dually crewcab 4x4 at 180,000 miles on it.

Cant go wrong with Chevy 6.6 duramax diesel awesome fast motor but I'm not a fan of the interior of the truck.

Good luck with your search.....

5. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

ok so you've got a small dodge dakota thats capable of pulling not much more than your skiff and your talking about going 3/4 ton huh :-? first decide if for sure you need that much truck and if so i'd go for an f250 in a minute then after that the duramax but like others have said some of the 6.o ford motors had issues so be careful ;) now that brand new dodge is a sweet looking rig but havent talked to anyone to know if they're any issue's you need to be concerned about :cool:

6. FSUfisher

FSUfisher Well-Known Member

X3 These motors have had some issues. I'd say go with the bigger truck as the room is unbeatable. My dad just downsized from a crew cab F-150 to a Tacoma as he thought he didn't need all the truck. He has been regretting it.

On the other hand, assume gas prices will top $4 a gallon again in the next couple of years.

7. iMacattack

My Dakota is a V6, it tows most of the tows ok. I have a buddy who had the Ram 2500 5.9 I6 Diesel. I've driven it a lot. He let me borrow it to pull my '72 Pontiac on a U-Haul. It was nice.

My dilemma is I don't like Full Size V8 Gas trucks. If I'm going to get something that big then Diesel is the way I want to go. With the caveat being the Tundra. I like mid sized trucks but am limited on the V8 possibilities.

I found a nice 2006 F250 with the 6L but the more I read I'm concerned about reliability.

Tundra owners? Likes, dislikes?

8. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

We've been using Ford HD trucks at work for years because they are the only ones available with the rescue body we need. The mechanics hate them! We only get about 2 good years out of them followed by 3 crappy ones before the city lets us replace them and send the old ones to auction. The mechanics would rather have a duramax or cummins to work on and hope one comes available soon.
    That being said I also work with alot of guys who have f-250's of various years and they seem to be in the shop alot more then the dodge and GM's.
    If it were me, right now I'd be looking at the duramax, it's a solid motor backed by a great tranny. Or you can wait a year and buy the Tundra deisel! :eek:

9. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

10. captnron

captnron Guest

If your going to tow 10K lbs 4 times a week, I would consider the diesel. I traded an 04 F250 7.3 / Allison w/ 40K miles on an 07 Tundra. Best thing I ever did. Fuel economy was the same on 87 pump gas. HP and torque were higher and the ride was the bomb. The only time wished for the 250 was towing 10K lbs for extended distances but only once in the 2-1/2 years was that even a consideration.

07 or later Tundra with the 5.7 [smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif]

Only reason I sold the Tundra is because it was waaaay more truck than I needed. I'm watching for a deal on an 06 or later Frontier Crew. ;)

11. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Its not politically correct but this sums up my feelings.

[​IMG]

12. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

hate to break it to you Tom but Toyota's are more american now then Fords and Chevy's. The profits may go overseas, but there factories are expanding here putting more americans to work, while the big 3 keep sending our business to mexico.

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Sad but true FC.
    The parts are assembled in Canada and Mexico
    and the base components are imported from suppliers
    from around the world. Check the product stamps on
    electrical components, plastic or rubber trim and you'll
    find Korea, Taiwan, China and Japan as nation of origin.

14. tom_in_orl

[smiley=bs.gif] Just means too many people already sold out

15. tom_in_orl

Again is just my personal opinion. Its a free country. You can buy what you want and I won't hold it against you.

16. iMacattack

Thank you for the cup full of derail... :p

The Tundra looks interesting. Inside looks a little bland, but I assume the reliability is good... short of a slight acceleration concern.. LOL

17. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I think Manufactures are Missing the Boat !

What we need is a Nice Mid Sized Diesel Pickup ! 35+ MPG

Since Your truck is A Tax write off How about somthing Custom Like a Canyon Body with a Mercedes or Similar Motor ...

If You can't Find it Have It Built ... ;-)

Dave

18. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I bought a 2008 Silverado from Gilbert Chevy in Okeechobee in September of 2008. It has a V8 and is equipped for towing 8,000 lbs. from the factory. I pull boats to 25' boat regularly and occasionally a 30' Morgan inboard diesel. I really like the truck and got 19+ MPG on a trip to Pennsylvania and back. It is a far better truck than any other that I have owned. The newer truck seem to do more for less.

Frank_S

19. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Gotta agree with Dave...a dakota with a v6 diesel would sell like crazy.

Just to put to a figure on the employment status in the US.
    Big 3 - 513,000 and 575,000 retirees
    Toyota - 35,000

20. iMacattack

Toyota Hilux...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux

Engines (markets):

* 2005 2.0 L gasoline VVT-i DOHC I4 (South Africa, Indonesia)
        * 2005 2.5 L diesel D-4D DOHC I4, 134 hp (100 kW) - 156 hp (Asia, Europe, South Africa, South America)
        * 2005 2.7 L gasoline VVT-i DOHC I4, 160 hp (Australia, Arabian Peninsula, The Philippines, South Africa, USA)
        * 2005 3.0 L diesel D-4D DOHC I4, Turbodiesel, commonrail 16-valve direct injection, 173 hp (127KW) (Asia, South Africa, South America, Australia, Europe). This version is made at Toyota's facility in Zárate, Argentina.
        * 2005 4.0 L gasoline VVT-i DOHC V6, 228 hp (170 kW) - 236 hp (Australia, South Africa, USA)
        * 2008 4.0L Supercharged DOHC V6 306 hp/225 kW (Australia only, TRD edition)

Heck I'd take the five-cylinder 2.7-liter Mercedes turbo-diesel in the Dodge Sprinter vans in a Dakota... if they sold it...