Looking for a Evinrude part for a 225 looper

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by snooknreds2, May 17, 2011.

1. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

Hello, been a while since I have been on here, glade to see the usual faces are still around!

I am trying to find a used part for my motor and was wondering if you could help. I realize that this is a bigger motor than suitable for this site, but I am running out of places to look and thought I would give it a try.

It is a steering arm/ tube from a 1997 Evinrude 225 looper, the part number is 0437699 and my motor model number is E225TZEUD 1997

I am currently out of the country and can only be reached via email at the moment.

Mine is not rusted at all, it is in perfect condition, except for the distorted bend that is in it and the fact that I had to cut off the bottom 3 inches to get it out of the mid section, due to the spline section of it being so bent.

What happened~ While running full open from a day of fishing my motor all of a sudden dropped to half the rpms. Long story short what happened is the to upper motor mount bolts broke! The whole power head and mid section 'bent' backwards (aft) and I am lucky I still have the power head. What stopped it from coming off is the shift shaft and lower motor mount bolts.

I have already bought the following parts, but need the 0437699 to complete this repair. The same part is used in a plethora of different years and model numbers, as I am sure you know. This part is stainless steel, not aluminum or steel, so I am hoping that I am able to find a used one in good condition.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
    Thank you in advance,
    Jason

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

The boys over at the hull truth pretty much covered all the places I'd of suggested.
    Outboard salvage yard or a parts motor is your best bet.

3. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Could this help?

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/brp/B-0437699.html?gclid=CKzDubCw8KgCFQli2godQg_jDA

No hits on used.

Frank_S

4. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

Frank, thanks for the suggestion, but that is where I was about 1.5 weeks ago. Actually the schematics on Boats.net are where I start any of these "hunts" by finding the part numbers.

I have spent so much money already trying to make this repair that it is silly. I know I know BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand :mad:

But with a new baby it is hard to find that money, AND justify it to the wife.
    I can get a new one locally for ~$350 so the boats.net option is out

I just know the longer I wait to fix this, the more potential problems I will have with the power head from sitting so long :-? So I have told my self if I dont find one by the time I leave from Europe the credit card is coming out and the new part is getting ordered. I just find it so hard to believe that a used one is not sitting around some where as common as these motors are, even the more rare 30". I will keep hunting for now :'(

THANKS for not just reading and moving on though! I appreciate the input regardless!