Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I fish and live here in Tampa Bay. I used to fish exclusively with 8wt, but have recently tried my friend's Clearwater Orvis in 6wt and was very impressed with the ease and presentations. He paired it with 6wt RIO Bonefish.
After reading some of your posts, I can tell 6wt is more common than I thought especially during fall and winter months.

That being said, I'm looking for any recommendations based on the fact that I really like Clearwater rod actin but would prefer a better quality road.

Thank you all,
Goran

·
Registered
161 Posts
For the money I love my Echo Boost Salt. Especially paired with Orvis Tropic Pro. Lately I've been reaching for it more and more than my 8wt. Handles a good size redfish well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all. I fish and live here in Tampa Bay. I used to fish exclusively with 8wt, but have recently tried my friend's Clearwater Orvis in 6wt and was very impressed with the ease and presentations. He paired it with 6wt RIO Bonefish.
After reading some of your posts, I can tell 6wt is more common than I thought especially during fall and winter months.

That being said, I'm looking for any recommendations based on the fact that I really like Clearwater rod actin but would prefer a better quality road.

Thank you all,
Goran
I really like my Moonshine. It’s got everything I’d want. And comes with two tip tops, plus lifetime warranty. Not made really for salt but I’d use it. Priced right at $200.00.

·
Registered
Jake Lastinger
38 Posts
Scott Flex 6 wt has been a favorite of mine for throwing bass poppers and the occasional streamer. I’ve got it paired with a rio flats pro 6 wt I believe.

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just picked up a maverick 6 the other week, paired it with SA bonefish mastery. haven't gotten on the water with it yet, but plan to this friday. Will post update when I get back!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a sage one 6 weight that’s butter smooth. Maybe not the most powerful rod but it’s a 6 weight and I prob try and force it too much. And they aren’t being made anymore, but they pop up on eBay. I also have a 6 weight Gloomis GLX Cross Current. It’s one of my top 2 favorite rods I own and it’s still being made and sold at a great price. All that said, it’s really hard to go wrong these days, so many good options.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's a FB group called Fly-fishing Gear- buy, sell or trade that has good deals quite often and I've noticed 6wts for sale often.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
673 Posts
Admittedly I have never been a fan of Orvis rods, but my father gave me an Orvis Helios 3d 6wt last year and I absolutely love the action of this rod. It easily punches a lite wind with small flies, and is a very smooth casting rod. On a calm day I can effortlessly cast the line 70-80 feet and bit farther if I really concentrate. I think it is strung up with Rio Redfish taper.

·
Registered
G3 16 CCJ
97 Posts
I live 50 miles north of you in Homosassa and have two 6-weights: TFO BVK and Sage Method and they both pair well with SA Amplitude Grand Slam line for inshore saltwater and Wulff Triangle taper for freshwater or dead-calm days in the salt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
scott meridian 6wt. paired with sa grand slam. awesome combo. on closeout they were ~ $550 or so. if you can get one there, its a lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was finally able to take the 6wt maverick on the water for the first time this weekend. I'm thoroughly impressed and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

The tip has a crisp action but the mid/butt section bends deeper, which makes for a super silky overall action, for me at-least. When I flubbed a cast I knew it my timing not the rod. Swing weight is light too, if you're into that. Paired mine with a nautilus xl and it felt great all day. The thing that impressed me the most was the way it transitioned from those close shots to long bombs. Great feel in close, but plenty of reserve power if you need to launch it. I'm not an expert caster but with good timing I had no trouble shooting 75+, something that was out of the question with my mangrove. Inside 45 feet was money too, I was anticipating having trouble loading it but there were no issues there. I even found I had better load when I choked up on the grip..

For this price point, I think you'd be hard pressed to find something better.. and I've casted almost every in this category except the recon 2. Can't wait to use it during those low negative winter tides, hopefully it'll give me an edge on our picky reds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts