Looking at Different Cameras - Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Photo Hut' started by paint it black, Nov 14, 2009.

1. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I've been wanting to pick up a Nikon for a while but I have no clue what to get.
    I don't plan on doing all kinds of professional photography, but I want something that'll take good pictures.

I was looking at the Nikon D3000.
    Anyone have one, or have used one?

I don't know anything about DSLR cameras only point and shoots.
    Can I just buy the camera or do I need anything else like lenses or flashes anything like that.
    I've always seen people selling lenses and stuff for the Nikon cameras, or is that just for the higher end ones?

Is there anything else I should look into?
    I've read about Nikon and Canon debate, but have always leaned more toward Nikon for some reason.

I have no clue about cameras, I just like taking pictures...lol

2. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Yes you can just buy the camera and use the lense that comes with it. All of my pictures that I take on the boat are with the stock 18-55mm VR lense. Great for close range. If you plan on doing any outdoor wildlife photography you need something with a little more reach. You don't need a flash added on. There is a built in one on the camera. The add on flash is good if you plan on doing higher quality pics at night. It has multiple settings that allow you to control the strength, strobe it, or diffuse it.

I use the D3000, and love it. It has survived a couple dunks and splashes already. With the DSLR you will get a ton more options for setting up the camera to take high quality point and shoot pictures. And if you ever want to take it to the next level and learn the Manual side, it's easy to use.

Using the camera in manual you can control more of the light saturation. I took this yesterday at 330ish in direct sunlight. All I did was make it intardnet friendly.

[​IMG]

3. paint it black

Looks great!
    Thanks man, I think that's the camera I'm going to get.
    If I ever want to get more into the outdoors photography, I can always just buy a lens for it yeah?
    Or would I need a different camera?

I just need to see my priorities right now, skiff, or camera...lol

I'm going to try to do both with the next couple pay days coming up.

4. skinny_water

Yes, all you have to do is buy another lense. My sugestion is go through bestbuy and get the package deal. Don't forget the warranty! It's a must for using the camera around water. When you get it, hit me up and I will help you set it up.

-Richard

5. paint it black

Alright cool.
    Sounds great.
    Some guy said he's going to buy my 63 impala tomorrow. If he comes through, I'll go buy the camera after. Lol

6. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

My first choice is a D3 followed by a D700 Neither one is in my Budget :-(

So What iam doing for Now is shoot with point and shoots or The Nikon F4 Or the Pentax Medium format 6x4.5 or 6x7 Shoot in ektachrome and scan ...

7. paint it black

I'm using a Fujifilm point and shoot for now until I can go for the D3000.
    But now I was looking at the D5000 and it's calling my name! lol
    Depending how long video clips I can take.

The guy tried low balling me to buy my Impala so it's going to take a little longer than I expected, but I still should have it in a few weeks.

8. paint it black

What lens will I need to capture ducks flying into the spread of decoys, and random tailing redfish and whatnot?

I don't see the combo package on bestbuys site for the camera with regular and zoom lens anymore.

9. paint it black

10. skinny_water

I think it was about 150-200 clams for the Black Tie Protection Plan

11. Yoreese

Yoreese I Love microskiff.com!

Kinda burned the whites. :)

12. Yoreese

Also you really need a Pelican waterproof box with foam for shock absorption during the rides across the chop and to protect the camera from salt spray that will kill electronics.

I am more of a Canon man but the mid-price Nikon's with kit lens will do fine for "grip and grin" shots!

13. skinny_water

[smiley=hangman.gif]

14. Yoreese

;D Nice image, but photography is one of my specialties. I had to criticize.

15. FSUfisher

FSUfisher Well-Known Member

What the heck does that mean, "burned the whites"!?! I'm an amateur and thought that picture was pretty good. I only wonder what my photos really look like to seasoned experts. :eek:
    BTW, great and useful thread!

16. skinny_water

Burned the whites, and "blown out whites" are the same thing.  It happens when you have a really harsh light hitting a white surface.  The white areas turn into a blown out area with no resolution.  Lower level cameras esp point and shoot style are prone to this.  The biggest offenders in fishing pictures is white decks on boats, glare on fish, and white shirts in direct sunlight.

In this picture you can see the latch for the port hatch.  But because the color is blown out because of the sun you loose image quality.  This was a hard picture to take because if you want to get the fish underwater you have to over expose the picture a little.  In this picture I was trying to find the ballance.

[​IMG]

This is a picture of a blown out Redfish.  With the sun reflecting off the fish you loose the red color, and all the detail.

[​IMG]

Here is another white shirt offender, lol
    [​IMG]

But...with lots of pratice, it turns into quailty stuff
    [​IMG]

-Richard

17. Yoreese

Yep, it is very tough to get a correct exposure in bright sun with highly reflective surfaces shining light back at the camera.  You can adjust for this by shooting manual and adding some fill flash, also a circular polarizer works wonders taking the glare off the water. Didn't mean to get too critical of the photo it is actually very nice.

18. skinny_water

Always shoot manual! If not it would be a waist of the camera, lol. Circular Polarizer is also a must. Not just for knocking down the glare but also as a protection for the glass in your lenses!

19. skinny_water

Oh, this is a bump to get our own "Photography" Section!