Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Gordon Waterman 18', 2004 Yamaha 70TLR
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

My name is Charlie and I've been a long time lurker for many years, probably since before I could drive a car legally (I'm now 24). I've been drooling over owning a skiff for the past few years and busted my ass the past 2 years to finally be in the position to pull the trigger on one around August of this year. I had been watching the market and researching what I wanted for the last year and came to the decision I wanted to find an older HB/Gordon Waterman. After putting out some feelers and seeing what was available I had a pretty good idea of which boats I had the ability to purchase.

I was fortunate enough to come into contact with MS member NSBHeron. Ken is a super cool dude and I was itching to buy a boat so I reached out to him to see if he would consider taking offers on his 2005 Gordon Waterman 18. He obliged and the next day I made the trip from Charleston SC down to New Smyrna FL. I wasn't able to see the boat the day we had planned on but luckily I brought a buddy and some surfboards and we made a little surf trip out of it as well and decided to camp for the night and I would see the boat the next day. Surfed that morning and then finally met up with Ken in the afternoon to wet test the skiff, I knew as soon as I stepped on the boat I wanted it. Tom Gordon builds a badass boat and for being 15 years old this boat looked great. It had a few little cosmetic issues that I would have expected for a boat its age but Ken kept this thing is good condition and stored in a garage when not in use. This boat got fished weekly by Ken, but when I saw it I knew I was going to make an offer and try to buy it.

We came to an agreement on a price and before I knew it I was the proud new owner of sick piece of skiff history. Now that I've had the boat for a couple weeks I can say this thing is a skinny water machine. I've had it back in low tide creeks pushing it through 3-4 inche deep streams of water sometimes less wide that the beam of the boat and it floated right through. I was seriously impressed with how well it poled, tracked while driving (no blowouts), and drafted. I've made a couple smaller changes just to make the skiff mine and personalize it a bit but It's setup to be a simple fly and light tackle fishing machine. I've got a few things planned to give it a little bit of a facelift and bring it into the new decade but for now I can be found fishing the snot out of it! ;)

Glad to be a part of this community and finally realize a dream that I've had for so long to own a badass skiff like this. Thanks for having me!

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,549 Posts
Congrats Wolf! Enjoy the new ride and keep us updated on your personal modifications. Even some of us who have been boating/skiff owners for years can always glean some new ideas from those type of posts.

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
764 Posts
Hey all,

My name is Charlie and I've been a long time lurker for many years, probably since before I could drive a car legally (I'm now 24). I've been drooling over owning a skiff for the past few years and busted my ass the past 2 years to finally be in the position to pull the trigger on one around August of this year. I had been watching the market and researching what I wanted for the last year and came to the decision I wanted to find an older HB/Gordon Waterman. After putting out some feelers and seeing what was available I had a pretty good idea of which boats I had the ability to purchase.

I was fortunate enough to come into contact with MS member NSBHeron. Ken is a super cool dude and I was itching to buy a boat so I reached out to him to see if he would consider taking offers on his 2005 Gordon Waterman 18. He obliged and the next day I made the trip from Charleston SC down to New Smyrna FL. I wasn't able to see the boat the day we had planned on but luckily I brought a buddy and some surfboards and we made a little surf trip out of it as well and decided to camp for the night and I would see the boat the next day. Surfed that morning and then finally met up with Ken in the afternoon to wet test the skiff, I knew as soon as I stepped on the boat I wanted it. Tom Gordon builds a badass boat and for being 15 years old this boat looked great. It had a few little cosmetic issues that I would have expected for a boat its age but Ken kept this thing is good condition and stored in a garage when not in use. This boat got fished weekly by Ken, but when I saw it I knew I was going to make an offer and try to buy it.

We came to an agreement on a price and before I knew it I was the proud new owner of sick piece of skiff history. Now that I've had the boat for a couple weeks I can say this thing is a skinny water machine. I've had it back in low tide creeks pushing it through 3-4 inche deep streams of water sometimes less wide that the beam of the boat and it floated right through. I was seriously impressed with how well it poled, tracked while driving (no blowouts), and drafted. I've made a couple smaller changes just to make the skiff mine and personalize it a bit but It's setup to be a simple fly and light tackle fishing machine. I've got a few things planned to give it a little bit of a facelift and bring it into the new decade but for now I can be found fishing the snot out of it! ;)

Glad to be a part of this community and finally realize a dream that I've had for so long to own a badass skiff like this. Thanks for having me!

View attachment 164305 View attachment 164306
Great skiff! I'm glad that you were able to fullfill your dream! Stay safe and enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Congrats man and welcome. Sweet ride. I've got the boat Ken had before the waterman(heron). He's a good dude. Definitely share some pics as you make it your own!

·
Registered
2005 Gordon Waterman 18', 2004 Yamaha 70TLR
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats man and welcome. Sweet ride. I've got the boat Ken had before the waterman(heron). He's a good dude. Definitely share some pics as you make it your own!

Thanks man! Yeah it’s been kept up very well. I’ve got a thread I created in the bragging spot dedicated to keeping all my upgrades in one place. 2005 Gordon Waterman 18

·
Registered
82 Posts
Man, NSBHeron must have been my neighbor and I never saw the boat around here. Sure wish I had. If he was fishing every week that means I'm not on the water near enough!! Congrats on a beauty!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts