Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"I got to stop wishin'. I've got to go fishin
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These pictures were taken at the Church Mouse in Fairhope, AL the night I learned to tie this gem with the Eastern Shore Fly Fishers. Although he isn't a member of this forum, I want to thank Chuck Fisk for researching the crap out of this pattern in order to learn and teach it, and for sharing his knowledge.
We were cutting it a little close on some materials that night, so I'll try to point out all of those cases. This fly is easiest tied on a #4-1/0 hook, but I've seen it on a 6 and imagine you could go bigger or smaller if you feel so inclined. I was told to use mono for thread and usually do, but shrimp tied with white thread have caught fish too. I have tied this pattern with shrimp and white supreme hair and had success with both. I add glow strands to the white for dock lights.

1. Start by tying in your dumbell eyes just behind the eye of the hook. I have always used home made, and used to make up a half dozen at a time, but find it easier to tie in a 1" piece of 20#+ mono (whatever you use as a weed guard will be fine) and epoxy the glass beads (the kind used for arts and crafts jewelry.) on the ends later.
2. Wind your thread back just forward of the hook point and tie in 3-4 rubber legs. You'll notice mine were short because this is where we were low on materials.

3. Make some working room.

4. I skip this step on #4 hooks. Palmer EP fibers into the space you just created, trying to keep them pointed down. I was taught to pull the fibers to 1 side before palmering, but typically pull down as i go. 1" tarantula brush is great in this application. Secure the end of the SP wire, then work back a couple turns between strands.

5. Cut 2 sets of supreme hair about twice the shaft length and roughly the diameter shown. You can go a little thicker or thinner, longer or shorter. It's not a science. We went thin that night, but I've seen thinner catch plenty of fish. Blend in flash strands of your choice.

6. Tie in with just a few wraps.

To be continued...

·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
7. Blend flash into your second clump of supreme hair and stagger the clump. This will create the horn and a taper to the tail.

8. Bunch the second clump with a bobby pin, tie on top of the first clump with the back portion of the stagger at the leading edge of the the first clump. Wrap securely and whip finish.

Note the bobby pin separating the clumps.
9. Flip the fly around in the vise so the hook point is facing the jaws. This is a good time to tie a few knots around the end of the tail if you'd like it to thin out. I dab a little epoxy on the thread in the following step to keep it secure, but have caught fish without tying off the tail at all.
10. Mix clear, 5 minute epoxy or break out the UV goo. Saturate the supreme hair from the head (try to create a horn at the front with a small bead of epoxy) back to the start of the bend of the hook. The bobby pin helps separate the clumps to wet everything out and get back to the threads. Be careful to keep the resin out of the EP fibers. Pushing the hair to create a Chinese finger trap effect and then pulling tight helps saturate. We used bodkins to push the epoxy into the hairs that night, but I prefer a toothpick. This is also the step I use to epoxy my glass beads on for the dumbbell eyes.

IMG_0381.JPG

11. You probably have a dip where your materials are tied in a this point. This should be filled in with a second coat of epoxy after the first coat is mostly dry. I use hot glue on #4s, but I don't think it holds up well enough on larger sizes. It shouldn't be necessary to recoat the threads. You'll have to take the fly out of the vise to rotate it and get the epoxy to sag to create a level look. Be patient.
IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG

The horn got a little crazy on the second one, but it caught fish.
Once the epoxy is dry, go ahead and trim the EP fibers to your desired length and trim the taper in the tail. Then go fishing!
542532_842998113258_844452210_n.jpg

Second cast with the new fly and he swallowed it to his ass!

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
276 Posts
Looking forward to the photos. Photobucket is a PIA but you can drag and drop photos from your pc right into your thread. Can also insert them from more options orange box.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I really like this fly but have never been able to get it to swim correctly. Always falls with the hook riding up. I have tried many times and it still frustrates me to this day. Any secret to getting this thing to swim correctly? I always thought this could be the DOA shrimp of shrimp flies but since i couldn't get a good swim I gave up after a half dozen tries....

·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like to use heavier hooks like a 3X stainless Mustad. That first fly was dragged on the bottom at the beach, but I'd guess wider gaps might help the balance too. I've never had one swim as perfect as a DOA, but the fish don't seem to mind.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I like to use heavier hooks like a 3X stainless Mustad. That first fly was dragged on the bottom at the beach, but I'd guess wider gaps might help the balance too. I've never had one swim as perfect as a DOA, but the fish don't seem to mind.
Yeah first thing that came to mind is that you are using a heavier hook than I did. That and the wider gap may help. You have inspired me to give it another try!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts