Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Long front taper line

1921 Views 40 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Vinny L
I need like the Cortland long distance taper but for saltwater. Do any of you use one for the salt and if so which one?
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
I'm constantly mystified by the lack of longer, true to weight taper saltwater lines on the market today.

Closest ones I've found are SA Infinity (too heavy for my taste, especially when carrying the whole head), Airflo Tactical (I don't like the whole ridge thing and also 1/2 line size heavy). In my experience the RIO Bonefish is OK, but again it's too heavy for a line like that and the taper is a bit steeper than it looks and the head feels much shorter than advertised.

I actually wish the SA bonefish were a bit longer, especially in the lighter line weights, but otherwise it's a fantastic line and is a better length at the 8 and 9 weights.

I would also give the guys at The Angling company a call about their Balance Taper Fly Line - I think it was based on the original RIO Tarpon Taper, which is close to the new Rio Tactical Tarpon or something like that as was maybe a 1/4 line heavy with a long head.

The line I eventually settled on and really like is the Monic Bonefish. It's a bit different texture but is low stretch, 1/4 line size heavy for just a tiny bit more "oomph" than SA bonefish, and has a longer head (at least in shorter line weights) at 46'. Really good compromise as I fish on foot in the Upper Laguna a lot and it's mostly longer casts in big wind.

Also a bit shorter than what I'd like, Cortland Flats Taper is an awesome line.

From what I remember casting the Asquith I'd stay as close to true to line weight as possible, so SA BF would be my choice.

You could also try some of the above lines but in a 7wt which i'm betting would be wonderful at distance. I've considered the new Rio Flats Pro 1 line size lighter, as it is a 49' head and exactly 1 line size heavy.

Now if someone can explain to me the logic of taking a fly line (not a shooting head) that is exactly 1 line size heavy and labeling it 1 line size lighter, I would love to hear it 😂

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm constantly mystified by the lack of longer, true to weight taper saltwater lines on the market today.

Closest ones I've found are SA Infinity (too heavy for my taste, especially when carrying the whole head), Airflo Tactical (I don't like the whole ridge thing and also 1/2 line size heavy). In my experience the RIO Bonefish is OK, but again it's too heavy for a line like that and the taper is a bit steeper than it looks and the head feels much shorter than advertised.

I actually wish the SA bonefish were a bit longer, especially in the lighter line weights, but otherwise it's a fantastic line and is a better length at the 8 and 9 weights.

I would also give the guys at The Angling company a call about their Balance Taper Fly Line - I think it was based on the original RIO Tarpon Taper, which is close to the new Rio Tactical Tarpon or something like that as was maybe a 1/4 line heavy with a long head.

The line I eventually settled on and really like is the Monic Bonefish. It's a bit different texture but is low stretch, 1/4 line size heavy for just a tiny bit more "oomph" than SA bonefish, and has a longer head (at least in shorter line weights) at 46'. Really good compromise as I fish on foot in the Upper Laguna a lot and it's mostly longer casts in big wind.

From what I remember casting the Asquith I'd stay as close to true to line weight as possible, so SA BF would be my choice.

You could also try some of the above lines but in a 7wt which i'm betting would be wonderful at distance. I've considered the new Rio Flats Pro 1 line size lighter, as it is a 49' head and exactly 1 line size heavy.

Now if someone can explain to me the logic of taking a fly line (not a shooting head) that is exactly 1 line size heavy and labeling it 1 line size lighter, I would love to hear it 😂
Thank you Corey! That is a very well written response. I’ve been using the SA infinity in 7wt on an 8wt I built out of an NFC blank. I can easily carry 50’ with nice loops with this combination. I’m also using an Airflow Super Tactical in 7wt on my 8 wt Asquith with similar if not better results. I also have a 6 wt I built on an NFC. On this I’m using a 6wt Airflow ST and it’s pretty impressive so far.
thanks again for your insight

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you guys are interested I put a Rio Tropical series Bonefish in 6wt on my 7 wt Sector. I haven’t fished it yet but the rod easily Carrie’s 45+’ might be closer to 55’ I can’t remember. Anyway, it seems like a real nice combo that produced some real nice looking loops.

· Registered
223 Posts

Spot on review of those fly lines 👍🏻

· Registered
2020 Chittum Mangrove
1,588 Posts
@Vinny L I saw this line and thought it might fit the bill.

· Registered
181 Posts
@Vinny L

I think I may have the line for you - Paul Arden from Sexyloops mentioned this line to me a while ago because I really liked the Sexyloops Thunderbolt for my 6 weight and I wanted something for the 7 weight, they also have an 8 wt option:

Ballistic Pro Saltwater

I totally forgot about it until just now but it is almost exactly what you describe, very similar to the SA or Cortland Distance taper, but in a 7 & 8 wt Tropical line.

Hope that helps!

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@Vinny L

I think I may have the line for you - Paul Arden from Sexyloops mentioned this line to me a while ago because I really liked the Sexyloops Thunderbolt for my 6 weight and I wanted something for the 7 weight, they also have an 8 wt option:

Ballistic Pro Saltwater

I totally forgot about it until just now but it is almost exactly what you describe, very similar to the SA or Cortland Distance taper, but in a 7 & 8 wt Tropical line.

Hope that helps!
Paul Arden has the life!! I have his 6wt on my NFC blank. It works great!! I’ll look into your recommendation.
Thank you

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
@Vinny L

Ballistic Pro Saltwater

Hope that helps!
I ordered the BPS in 8 wt. I’ll let you know how it flies.

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So I received my Ballistic. I thought I ordered the 8wt but I got the 185 grain which is a 7 wt.. I figured I’d try it first on my old RPL 8 wt. being it’s a softer rod I’m thinking it’ll hold all 58’ in the air. I’ll check it out once it stops blowing and let you know what I think. I’m also going to put it on my 7wt Sector. I’ll get back to you guys.

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Sounds good! Thanks @Vinny L

I was also thinking the Rio Flats Pro in a 7 weight might be decent (48' head or so and a full line heavy so just go a line size down) and also The Angling Company in Key West has the Balance Taper fly line that I think is supposed to be a bit longer. Based on the old rio tarpon technical or something like that.
You think correctly!! I’ve done the Bonefish taper in 7 wt on my 8s. Works well.
Thanks for the tip on BTF.

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I was able to utilize more thoroughly the lines long taper today. I’m not the best caster in fact far from it and I could carry 40’ with pretty good back cast loops, tighter forward. Periodically snapping the line at 60’ mark at the rod tip. The 12+ foot leader unrolled beautifully most of the time some times not so good but that’s caster error. The line is definitely a keeper.

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So with better conditions today that line shined!! Tight loops, most of the time, caster error when it collapses but when I was on and the breeze laid down the line was laying down unrolling the 12’+ leader perfectly. I couldn’t ask for better results.
That would be about 71’ of line off the reel plus leader length about 12’.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts