Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Long front taper line

1925 Views 40 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Vinny L
I need like the Cortland long distance taper but for saltwater. Do any of you use one for the salt and if so which one?
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
2020 Chittum Mangrove
1,588 Posts
The Rio permit line has a 15' front taper

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So are you looking to carry more line in the air or are you looking to bomb casts?
“The Bomb” ran and threw a lot of those in my younger years😁.
Both really. I’m always looking to improve. I put a 6wt RIO Bone (49+’ front taper) on my NFC blank. It was a very nice improvement on my limited ability to carry 40+ in the air with a single false cast and deliver the fly where I want it. Most of the time 🙄. I do want to, just for the hell of it work on my distance and delivery.

· Registered
2020 Chittum Mangrove
1,588 Posts
“The Bomb” ran and threw a lot of those in my younger years😁.
Both really. I’m always looking to improve. I put a 6wt RIO Bone (49+’ front taper) on my NFC blank. It was a very nice improvement on my limited ability to carry 40+ in the air with a single false cast and deliver the fly where I want it. Most of the time 🙄. I do want to, just for the hell of it work on my distance and delivery.
Yeah. I've always liked carrying more line than most and then trend seems to be make heads shorter and heavier. This makes it harder to carry more line in my opinion. The old scientific anglers sand colored bonefish line was the best for carrying a ton of line.

· Registered
223 Posts
Just on the lighter side of fly line or true to weight which I love. Think it’s 175 grain for a 6wt line and has a more gradual taper than like a SA grand slam line and has a long head length (long belly) which gives you that control when you need to reach out a bit. On a sector they recommend 160-180 grain for a 6wt so that line falls in a good spot for me

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The SA bonefish lines are nice but I typically feel like they don't load a fast action rod enough. Love the grand slam, pairs very well on my 8wt nrx+.
I’m using an SA Bone on a 6wt I built on an NFC blank. Carrying the longer taper seems pretty effortless for that rod. Where I’m most impressed with the line is the subtle and very accurate presentation. If the Infinity and Airflows Tactical behave the same way with my 8 wts. I’ll be very happy. I dropped a line weight with both Infinity and Tactical to 7 wts. I want the grain wt to be as close to rod weight recommendation as possible.

· Registered
24 Posts
I agree with all that vinny, it’s a nice line when paired with the right stick. It just didn’t load well for me on my 8wt, I bought it again for a 6wt and still doesn’t pair as well as others. SA makes great lines and have been my choice for saltwater and I even use their MPX lines on my trout rods as well.

I bought a rio flats pro elite for my 10wt and after a few tarpon the welded loop broke. It coils like a pain on the deck and needs to re stretched every time it sits for a few weeks

· Registered
7 Posts
Just on the lighter side of fly line or true to weight which I love. Think it’s 175 grain for a 6wt line and has a more gradual taper than like a SA grand slam line and has a long head length (long belly) which gives you that control when you need to reach out a bit. On a sector they recommend 160-180 grain for a 6wt so that line falls in a good spot for me
Remember most of those listings are only for the first 30 ft, so the Airflo tactical 6wt is probably closer to 290-300 gr when you get the whole 51ft head in the air. So you could be loading on the heavier side actually. But who cares if it works well! The 7 was too much for my 7wt so I've been looking for the 6. I downsized to the regular infinity 6 weight(not made for high temps) and it was perfect for my rod. I'll need something for warmer temps.

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Remember most of those listings are only for the first 30 ft, so the Airflo tactical 6wt is probably closer to 290-300 gr when you get the whole 51ft head in the air. So you could be loading on the heavier side actually. But who cares if it works well! The 7 was too much for my 7wt so I've been looking for the 6. I downsized to the regular infinity 6 weight(not made for high temps) and it was perfect for my rod. I'll need something for warmer temps.
That’s exactly why I ordered 7 wt lines for my 8 wt rods.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts