Location X

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Str8-Six, Apr 14, 2018.

1. flysalt060

flysalt060 I Love microskiff.com!

Rankin jr fished x 30 years ago.their are limited places for poon to stack up between forumns and google earth,folks with a brain can get close to figuring out where they will go.David really does spend his life learning where they could or should be and Brett lives there.hell i have been trout fishing between carebelle and lanark,watching guys on front of boat at lanark ,never cast and tarpon jump around me a 1/2 mile away.they just go everywhere once past AP.

Bonecracker, sjrobin and Rick hambric like this.
  2. Surffshr

Surffshr Active Member

26AA0FA0-F606-4160-9D51-A47660F05BF7.jpeg My “fishing team” which has a membership of zero at this moment, but was formed solely in spite of local forums. Always burned me when someone would post GPS coordinates with a fishing report. I went as far as putting a bumper sticker on my old beach ride that said “red-ass fishing, screw .coms” and now here I am...

lsunoe, shb, flysalt060 and 2 others like this.

3. WillW

WillW I Love microskiff.com!

The last couple posts have shite to do with fook in my opinion, since we're just throwing out useless jibbersih

flysalt060 likes this.
  4. Fishshoot

Fishshoot Well-Known Member

People like to get famous, recognition make money whatever. Then they make a movie, write a guide book, take pictures publish an article and then get surprised when a place gets popular. Lol

Backwater, bw510, lsunoe and 5 others like this.
  5. TidewateR

TidewateR will pole for food

just like any other good thing..a floridian ruined it. With all due respect

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  6. Cronced

Cronced Well-Known Member

I've gone in kind of the opposite direction and turned myself into an urban fisherman almost exclusively. There really are no secret spots when you are surrounded by thousands of people. But there are plenty of places that nobody targets because they're in such plain sight. And the fish I target most (snook, tarpon, jacks, snappers) thrive around heavy urban structure.

I love being miles from nowhere and fishing in a pristine setting. But those places are disappearing and there is no denying or changing it.

Fritz, sjrobin, Rick hambric and 3 others like this.
  7. Jred

Jred I Love microskiff.com!

I'd rather go explore and be miles from anywhere and not catch anything than fish somewhere surrounded by people and buildings in dirty water catching fish.

8. BM_Barrelcooker

BM_Barrelcooker I Love microskiff.com!

Ever tried Great Salt Lake ?

Of course you can probably just wait a few years and have mosquito lagoon all to yourself.

EdK13, SomaliPirate, Jred and 2 others like this.
  9. Dave Nickles

Dave Nickles Active Member

OK, here it is:
    31°48'13.93"N 87°24'4.79"W

10. Bonecracker

Bonecracker Well-Known Member

Location X has moved considerably over the years due to fishing pressure as stated before! The fish are still around you just have to be creative to find them!!

flysalt060 likes this.
  11. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

Me! I haven't a clue and never poon fished north of Sassa. Guess I have more than enough here where I live and down south to keep me occupied. Looks like a cool area tho. I know those big bend and Panhandle boys been getting more and more of our fish lately. I think the fish are getting more wise and bypassing areas that get more pressure and heading up to those areas where they are not hammered. Also, I think they know and remember about all the red tides we've been having over the pass 10 years or so and I think that causes them to completely bypass the area and continue heading northward and up there. I'm sure the location X guys think they're getting too much pressure, but they may not of been in Boca Grande when it's going off and sometimes it looks like the boats out number the fish. The grass is not always greener..... ;)

Newman, Bonecracker and Fishshoot like this.
  12. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

Ted, you say "me" then go on to talk about the Panhandle. So yes you do to know where they are talking about. But you are correct on pressure. Having fished both areas. The Panhandle is barren compared to Boca Grande. But then there are also way more fish in Boca Grande.

Backwater likes this.
  13. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

I'm referring to a particular spot or sandbar, etc, that is referred to as location X, which is what I believe they are referring to. We have several of those location ? and known in certain circles, but get exploited over the years in the name of someone's own self edification and fame.

flysalt060, bw510 and Fishshoot like this.
  14. Fishshoot

I think an angler like yourself could find out pretty easily where it is. I agree with your statements about tarpon learning. From folks I’ve spoken to who have been fishing keys since the 70s the patterns have definitely changed. I don’t think 10+ boats stack up at Buchanan anymore. That is because fish don’t pour through there like they used to. I think tarpon are smarter than most folks give them credit for. Seems like th

flysalt060 and Backwater like this.
  15. Fishshoot

Out west here there are great sections of river that go through private lands for miles. Guide services or shops will lease access to that water, so unless you pay their guides you can’t fish it. I am very thankful that can’t be done on the ocean.

flysalt060 and marshrat like this.
  16. eightwt

eightwt Well-Known Member

You can't float rivers on your own in CO? Even in WY you can float them, just can't drop anchor as river bottom is considered private property. Always struck me as extremely greedy, but that is the way it is. Be sure the guides can be real asses if they see you stopping to take a leak. I lived in the Black Hills of SD and you could wade anywhere as long as you stayed below high water mark.

flysalt060 likes this.
  17. Fishshoot

Oh you can float it just like Wyoming , if there is enough water to float it. Definitely no wading. And definitely no anchoring, as landowners own the land under water and an anchor would be trespassing. So you have to float a river best fished by wading....

flysalt060 likes this.
  18. eightwt

eightwt Well-Known Member

For sure a lot of spoon there!

19. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

Have you been to LA?!!!!

flysalt060 likes this.
  20. BM_Barrelcooker

BM_Barrelcooker I Love microskiff.com!

I found a place a few weeks ago that I'll definately keep an eye on. And its a good way from the "x" so most folks will just think I'm tryin to yerk a couple sheepheads or somethin.

Fishshoot likes this.