Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys friend of mine is offering his 7 weight llbean Orion rod and reel to me for sale. We believe they are 15 years old or so. Reel is machined not cast. Brand new with the cases etc. Never used. Rod is a 4 piece . He actually bought it from the main store in Maine. Said he paid $800 or so for it new. Some research tell me the rods were made by Loomis. So question is anyone know about the quality of this? Wonder if saltwater rated? Also I now slightly debated but 7 weight ok for light saltwater inshore?

·
Registered
203 Posts
7 wt is fine for light salt. Rods have changed/evolved a lot from 15 years ago. My guess is there may be some value in the reel, the rod not so much. If you lawn cast it and like it then buy it but certainly not for anything near even half what he says he paid for it.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts
I've bought several fly rods from LL. Some Sage and some Orion. One of my favorite rods is a 9 wt. Orion. Probably a Loomis cast great and I've used it salt. Just wash them off

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. Actually talked to a great guy from llbean this afternoon. Super helpful. He had all the info. Rod made by Loomis. Said it was the best rod they sold then. Reel is machined and not cast. Supposedly nice as well. The outfit sold for just under 600 10-12 years ago

1 - 6 of 6 Posts