Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking out loud and looking at the SNockers live-well.

I was thinking about lining the live-well w/Styrofoam (pictured below) to make it a fish box/cooler.
Thinking I can kill two birds w/one stone basically by not having to carry a cooler.
The box has an inlet open to the water (can be plugged) and a drain on the aft side of the box.
Any thoughts?
Would I need a different kind of Styrofoam due to the chemical makeup of the one purchased?
If so, ideas on where to buy?
Thanks again,
View attachment 4640 View attachment 4641 View attachment 4644

·
BBA Counselor
7,370 Posts
Who said it's not closed cell? If it wasn't they wouldn't make surfboards out of it right?

You can line the inside as a temporary solution, but it won't last any longer then a disposable cooler would. You can permanently convert it but that means cutting the top off to foam and glass the inside and under the top (epoxy only!).

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who said it's not closed cell? If it wasn't they wouldn't make surfboards out of it right?
Maybe that particular type of foam. That's what was mentioned to me.

You can line the inside as a temporary solution, but it won't last any longer then a disposable cooler would. You can permanently convert it but that means cutting the top off to foam and glass the inside and under the top (epoxy only!).
Yes I could do that but not 100% sure I would want it permanent .
Thanks for the tip, but then again, I could convert it and use it both ways etc.
Something to think about for sure.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok got the pink stuff-1" thick. and lined the live-well.
Good enough and removable if need be.
I like it better than the styrofoam.
Spot glued the lid insulation and the interior is a very tight fit and not glued.
I tried to make the cuts tight but the uniformity of the live-well was not that square. Also, had to make a cut on each panel since I could not fit a entire length in the hole etc.
Should do what I need it to do.

View attachment 4716 View attachment 4717 View attachment 4718 View attachment 4719 View attachment 4720

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there space between the inside of the box and the outside? Meaning are there two walls.
No, all boards are against the fiberglass walls. The side walls are tight and the front/back against the fiberglass existing walls. The bottom I had a little trouble with but I cut them a little long and had to hit them w/my fist to get in place. The bottom is actually tight on the seam just cut a a bevel but the one side is a little shy (the mfg was a little sloppy in getting it square but that's ok. I still have a 1/2 sheet left over (cheaper than buying 2x2 squares) so I might redo the bottom.
The sides were in first and squared off nice, then did the back/front walls so the space you see is board behind that and tight.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why not make a drop in fiberglass box and fill the space with expanding foam? It would be about what you have now but last longer and work better.
Yes agreed. Just testing this out for now to see how it goes, I would like a insulated duel box for ice chest/L-well, best of both worlds.
Any thoughts on the foam?
Thanks,

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
looks like you did a decent job but gaps and those squares without foam will kill the thermal efficiency. Will also be a pain to clean. You could tighten up the gaps and glass over the foam using epoxy resin.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
looks like you did a decent job but gaps and those squares without foam will kill the thermal efficiency. Will also be a pain to clean. You could tighten up the gaps and glass over the foam using epoxy resin.
Yes thanks. I told my wife I needed to redo the bottom since it was getting wider as it went aft (I had it tight, but made the wrong angle cut aft and had to trim it and thus it slid back making that gap) and the squares were holding the foam up off the bottom. I was getting a little tired/fingers holding/cutting the foam w/the exacto knife but not sure what I could do w/the squares. Those two portions of the box are 4" and are raised both on the bottom and aft of the compartment. Maybe getting a 1/2" piece or just trimming the 1" down for a gradual rise might work. If glassed in, the water will drain aft. Hum,,,
Thanks,

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Nice job.
I recommend some foam gasket for the lid......loose a lot of cold if it is not sealed. And, for odd shapes get some heavy brown paper to make a template......like the boat cushion folks do.

Also, the foil tape a/c people use may help sealing the seams in the corners?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice job.
I recommend some foam gasket for the lid......loose a lot of cold if it is not sealed. And, for odd shapes get some heavy brown paper to make a template......like the boat cushion folks do.

Also, the foil tape a/c people use may help sealing the seams in the corners?
Great idea on the tape and template. I came home and thought I could just measure w/a tape and did pretty well w/some odd angles etc.
As for the lid, this is good isn't it?
I would have to make some for under the lip/around the edge etc foa total seal or close to it.
I know it isn't perfect but a lot better than before and only 19 bucks for the foam. Beats a $400.00 cooler, for me at least and room saving etc.

Here's the lip around the pink foam that needs to be done.
View attachment 4792

View attachment 4793

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.