Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Viper 19 Flats Boat and 13’ gheenoe highsider
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat is new to me, have a live well that has a standard live well pump, my question is, if I go buy live bait, I want to put it in the well while I trailer the boat to the ramp from the shop. Best way to make sure that bait stays alive? Usually 30-45mins from shop to ramp. Thinking aerator of some kind? I know temperature is a factor but the distances “should” be short. But also if I have bait from a previous night, best way to keep overnight? Thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have the live well pump that pumps raw water into the well while the boat is in the water. I also have an aerator pump that will aerate and recycle the live well water whether the boat is in the water or not. I have kept bait overnight in the well while on the trailer with running the aerator pump.
Temperature- I place a few frozen 12oz water bottles in the well. Never had trouble keeping bait alive.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I’ve long used a drop in pump when my skiff is on the water (a Keep Alive floating model).
what shapeand size is your live well?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something to add.... watch your batteries with pump running for long periods.
I’m thinking for the overnight/ at home just doing a small bubbler and maybe the same for shop to ramp transit?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve long used a drop in pump when my skiff is on the water (a Keep Alive floating model).
Approx 10
15 gal if I had to guess? Circular in shape. The reg pump works when on the water, I’m concerned with out of water

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
With a truly circular well you can keep bait alive with an aerator over night -as long as there's no corners for them to swim into (the way my well was built - all those years ago...). What will kill them off is if you try to keep too many in the well or allow the water to heat up (but eventually their waste will begin to kill them off).

Wish I had a circular well... I've fished on skiffs with large shallow circular wells that could keep everything from ladyfish to mullet and pilchards alive overnight while on the trailer... nothing like them for keeping bait alive... All I ever use my drop in aerator for is shrimp and crabs for the fifty mile run down to Flamingo from Homestead where I get my bait, when we're using it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With a truly circular well you can keep bait alive with an aerator over night -as long as there's no corners for them to swim into (the way my well was built - all those years ago...). What will kill them off is if you try to keep too many in the well or allow the water to heat up (but eventually their waste will begin to kill them off).

Wish I had a circular well... I've fished on skiffs with large shallow circular wells that could keep everything from ladyfish to mullet and pilchards alive overnight while on the trailer... nothing like them for keeping bait alive... All I ever use my drop in aerator for is shrimp and crabs for the fifty mile run down to Flamingo from Homestead where I get my bait, when we're using it...
Cool, I should be good with my drop in then. Thanks 🤙🏼

·
Registered
1999 Pathfinder 15T/ 2014 40 hp. Merc 4 stroke/ Hydraulic Jack Plate
3 Posts
With all the aeration you have, my recommendation is to add a product named GJuice to the water in the live well.. I think it is like 7 drops per gallon. My Mullet stay WAY friskier when I use it.
A one oz. bottle goes a LONG way.
Tight lines

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,198 Posts
With all the aeration you have, my recommendation is to add a product named GJuice to the water in the live well.. I think it is like 7 drops per gallon. My Mullet stay WAY friskier when I use it.
A one oz. bottle goes a LONG way.
Tight lines
"G-Juice"...wonder if it would work for old fishermen? :).

·
Registered
1999 Pathfinder 15T/ 2014 40 hp. Merc 4 stroke/ Hydraulic Jack Plate
3 Posts
Don't know for sure but.... I'm pretty frisky after a legal Red on a fresh Mullet so ??? Who knows.Lol!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts