Little Help, Gulp Question ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PLAYIN_HOOKY, Apr 8, 2014.

1. PLAYIN_HOOKY

PLAYIN_HOOKY I Love microskiff.com!

Guys
    Need help, which color 3" Gulp Shrimp. The New Penny or Natural ? Fishing Reds, Snook and Speckle Trout. Thx

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.

3. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

It really doesn't matter. Besides the fact that both colors are similar, with gulp you're mainly gonna be triggering their sense of smell. In my opinion and experience sightfishing, the attitude of the fish is the absolute biggest factor. After that it's presentation, size and profile. I choose color based on what is easiest for me to see in the water. If I can see both the fish and my lure, odds are I'm gonna catch that fish.

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Agreed
    but for some reason I'm really confident with the new penny

5. snooks

snooks I Love Gulp!

We have been mostly pearl white and that has been around the flamingo area and agree with everyone, gulp is a scent bait, when presented properly and the fish wants to eat you will catch them. If you are in a school you can even dead stick one while throwing at another.

6. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

Confidence in what you're using is also very important. The more confidence you have in a bait, the more you'll use it and in turn the more fish you'll catch with it. Building even more confidence in it.
    Try buying both colors and one day when you come into a good bite, try both and see if one is more productive than the other. I don't think they'll care either way. Maybe the difference between an electric chicken and a new penny, would be a factor. But between two pretty natural colors, I think the difference would be very minimal.

7. PLAYIN_HOOKY

PLAYIN_HOOKY I Love microskiff.com!

Thx for the advise guys.....
    I was back at Bass Pro this evening, spoke to the fishing dept Manager. He advised me that he couldn't hold on to the natural color gulp shrimp. He showed me his monthly purchase log and sure of shit they had the highest sold of the colors. He said a lot of the charter captains would come in and purchase this color. I have had great success with new penny but I must say, I think I'm going to try this color out.

8. jking

jking Well-Known Member

Totally unscientific for trout, but what I have experienced:

Warm Water - West Coast
    1. Nuclear Chicken (2+ strikes to one over other colors)
    2. White/Yellow Tail
    3. Root Beer/Yellow Tail
    4. Glow with Specs
    5. Any Other Color

Colder Water
    1. New Penny
    2. Molt/Natural
    3. Any Other Color

Reds
    Any Temp
    1. New Penny