Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,163 Posts
Train them any different than a Lab?
in my observations a lab will do anything to please their handler, a Boykin will do anything to please itself.
My dog isn’t too motivated by praise but will go to hell and back for a pinch of cheese.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My opinion only, but I believe Boykins have to be force fetched. FF is tough, as it's uncomfortable for the dog. Once FF is done, the dog (lab, boykin, whatever) should know the pressure goes off if they get the dummy / bird in their mouth. This is the basic principle of running blind retrieves.

You have to find their motivation. Some like food, some like praise, some want to please their handler, some just want to please themselves.
Finding the right motivation, along with just enough pressure to get them to do what YOU want, is the really tough part. Once you figure all of this out, it's easy!

Food can be a great motivation / tool on the early stages, but I believe a force fetched / e collar conditioned dog is the beginning of a well trained hunting partner. From there, Smartworks is a good book system.

BUT, for $5 a month, join the Brown Dog Academy on Patreon. It's hosted by Blaine Tarnecki, who is the premier Boykin trainer in the country....hands down. Even though I had mine professionally trained, I still watch the videos and do drills learned on there. Dozens and dozens of videos. It's absolutely amazing and the best resource out there for Boykins, or anyone that wants to train their own dog.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Agree 100% with force fetching. I trained mine early and watched my dad and others struggle for a long time with a young dog who would very enthusiastically run out to a down bird only to bump it (or worse) bring it partially back then drop it.

Place board training was extremely helpful with mine too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Place boards are exceptional tools. Mine hunts almost exclusively out of a Momarsh stand. Both give the dog somewhere to be during the hunt (high and dry) and somewhere to go to on the retrieve. Exceptional tool.

Cato boards are nice for place boards, or I made my own out of scrap wood. "Place" is an interchangeable command I use almost daily.

For how I hunt, the momarsh invisilab is one of the best pieces of gear I have for my boykin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My opinion only, but I believe Boykins have to be force fetched. FF is tough, as it's uncomfortable for the dog. Once FF is done, the dog (lab, boykin, whatever) should know the pressure goes off if they get the dummy / bird in their mouth. This is the basic principle of running blind retrieves.

You have to find their motivation. Some like food, some like praise, some want to please their handler, some just want to please themselves.
Finding the right motivation, along with just enough pressure to get them to do what YOU want, is the really tough part. Once you figure all of this out, it's easy!

Food can be a great motivation / tool on the early stages, but I believe a force fetched / e collar conditioned dog is the beginning of a well trained hunting partner. From there, Smartworks is a good book system.

BUT, for $5 a month, join the Brown Dog Academy on Patreon. It's hosted by Blaine Tarnecki, who is the premier Boykin trainer in the country....hands down. Even though I had mine professionally trained, I still watch the videos and do drills learned on there. Dozens and dozens of videos. It's absolutely amazing and the best resource out there for Boykins, or anyone that wants to train their own dog.
This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts