Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Lithiums - for the troller

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Reverendo 
#1 ·
So I am in the process of repowering my marquesa, adding a little weight on the back end so Id like to shed it else where. My TM batteries (24v) live in my console and are reaching the end of their life span so im looking at a 24v lithium but all the brands out there make it hard to narrow down. SO does anyone have them, if so what brand do you like and where did you buy from.

Looking for a 24v system to live in my console, TM comes off the boat during the summer but the batteries stay in so if i can reduce weight id like to. I know the cost is there but I like to buy once and cry once, so if i get 10 years out of it I feel I got my moneys worth.

#4 ·
Here is my post from over a year and a half ago. they are still going strong. I have just recently replaced my starting battery with lithium as well.

I am currently using a AGM as my house battery. But my next battery will be a lithium. As i bought the batteries from China, this was a trail run for them and didnt want to sink too much money into this. Looking back at the shipping cost, i should have just bought a 3rd battery and be done with it.

AH wise, my research shows lead acid can run down to 50% and Lithiums' down to 15% usable AH's. So there is a ~35% gain in usable AH's in Lithiums.
As I've stated earlier, I couldn't kill the 60AH lithiums in 2 days of fishing.
These batteries also charge incredibly fast. After the 2 days of fishing, each battery charged in 2.5 hrs a piece. From what i read, lithioms can charge very fast with no side effects to the battery.

As far as source, It was off Alibaba. the link is below.
Looking back at my reciept, the total shipped to my house, which took 37 days, was $774.50. This includes 2x 60AH 12V batteries, and a 20 Amp single bank charger.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...779.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.10853e5f6jUYcS

THese are the batteries installed in my boat. they are smaller than a group 24

US $248.0000

#6 · (Edited)
Get a single 24v 50ah lifepo4 battery and put your starting battery and tm battery under the console. Will get some weight out from the back and put it in the center. I’m assuming that your starting battery is in back.

I have two 100ah Battleborn batteries in the front and together weigh 62lbs. Have gone on four day trips and never ran out of power. They now make a 50ah 24v battery that weighs 31lbs and should give you more than enough juice for a long day on the troller. Ten year warranty is nice as well.

#7 ·
Get a single 24v 50ah lifepo4 battery and put your starting battery and tm battery under the console. Will get some weight out from the back and put it in the center. I’m assuming that your starting battery is in back.

I have two 100ah Battleborn batteries in the front and together weigh 62lbs. Have gone on four day trips and never ran out of power. They now make a 50ah 24v battery that weighs 31lbs and should give you more than enough juice for a long day on the troller. Ten year warranty is nice as well.
That battery is $1,000! I know you've got to pay to play, but holy hell! Will any onboard charger work for it, given it is lithium?

#14 ·
The voltage on the lifepo4 will remain at or above 12 volts until the charge is depleted. Lead batteries will drop below 12 volts and not provide enough power for the TM, much sooner than the lifepo4.

A 24 volt system with lead acid batteries, either agm or wet should still give you plenty of power in a day. Main advantage of lifepo4 is size and weight and longer runtime.

#16 ·
Lithium Pros have a great warranty of 10 years if I believe but I do have a buddy that had one crap out within the first year. Im sure it was a fluke and it was replaced.

If I could do it over again being in Jax I would upgrade my 55lb xi5 to a 80lb 24v xi5 and run a single 24v lithium and call it a day.

#17 ·
Also speaking with a few battery reps locally they say the lithium prices are dropping a few hundred dollars anually. Overseas most countries only run lithium now and I have no idea why America is so late to the game. The only downfall with a lithium battery is IF it catches fire you cant put it out, but honestly if my AGM caught fire then itll prob burn enough to do some damage and then I'll have some nice new deck/hull work done through insurance haha.

#18 ·
Alright so I've been exploring the possibility of going with lithium batteries as well for my Trolling motor (Minn Kota 24v 70/80#).
While the cost is steep, if I do the math, they'll come out cheaper than replacing regular batteries every 2-3 years... if they are indeed 10 year batteries.
Currently, I'm using a pair of Brute Force Puretron AGM series 34 batteries, inside my console (Mako 18LTS). Being that they are dual purpose, I'm not getting the longevity I thought I would get, which is why I'm considering the lithiums. So I have a few questions about the lithiums:
Minn Kota says their charger will charge the Lithiums if I set the charger to AGM. Fine. But they also warned that Lithiums run hotter when the TM is set to high, and this can ruin the motor. Can anyone verify this?
Also I'm assuming that I'd need a deep cycle version of the lithium, but I'm not seeing many options. Any brands I should be looking at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.