Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have or used one? The kind that have the gator clamps attached. Ive seen noco and some other brands. Just figure id keep one in the truck/boat. Thanks in advance...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
162 Posts
Yes. They are great. Will start Boat, bike, Truck, whatever you need. Be careful with them. Jumpstarted a airboat with a hot alternator one time and it started getting really hot. Set it down away from everyone and it blew. Made about a 10ft fireball. It was one of the first ones. I believe they have made them safer now and I still carry and use one.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
702 Posts
I carry one but have not used it. So if these get hot, duck and cover is the appropriate response? Or is it a bend over and kiss your a$$ goodbye?

·
Brandon, FL
10,934 Posts
I have had one for about three years. Never used it until last fall when we were deer hunting and buddy left door open and the light killed the battery. Worked fantastic and sure beat walking miles to get cell coverage and a tow truck down miles of dirt road. My guess is it saved $500 and a half a day.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I have one (MicroStart) and while I haven't had to use it on my boat I have given it to two guys at the ramp to jump start theirs and it worked great. I really don't think there is a good reason not to own one!

·
Brandon, FL
10,934 Posts
I do not know the brand of mine but it can be charged by a wall or car usb adaptor, cigarette lighter, changing location of alligator clip. I just top off from the wall the night before I go far from civilization.

The USB port can charge other things that can be charged from a usb charger as well.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Mine exploded ... figuring how to return it it was 1 month out of warranty LOL It's replacement will get the "replacement Plan" LoL Don't breath the fumes my buddy died !

·
Registered
972 Posts
I bought a NOCO GB40 to keep in the boat. I haven't used it on the boat yet, but it jumped a dead 3/4 ton 4X4 off in fine fashion.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes. They are great. Will start Boat, bike, Truck, whatever you need. Be careful with them. Jumpstarted a airboat with a hot alternator one time and it started getting really hot. Set it down away from everyone and it blew. Made about a 10ft fireball. It was one of the first ones. I believe they have made them safer now and I still carry and use one.
It's a lithium battery, right?

If it gets hot, just throw it in the water... :) :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I carry one in my truck and always in my boat. Haven't had to use the one in the boat yet, but have jumped my truck with it. Mine (can't remember the model) also has a USB port so you can charge dead cell phones, etc which could also come in very handy. Also has a flashlight and strobe type feature. As someone said, no reason not to have one!

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
Interesting -- I've always heard that you don't want to store them in hot places (inside a parked car or on the boat in the summer). Any truth to that?

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Interesting -- I've always heard that you don't want to store them in hot places (inside a parked car or on the boat in the summer). Any truth to that?
Seeing that they are used and purposely made for jumping vehicles and boats I don’t think they would sell them if they explode if left in the heat.
My buddy has one on his offshore boat at all times, a few others keep them in their console and numerous folks keep them in their vehicles in Texas summer heat. I’ve never heard of any of them having issues. I am about to grab one for my skiff.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
Seeing that they are used and purposely made for jumping vehicles and boats I don’t think they would sell them if they explode if left in the heat.
My buddy has one on his offshore boat at all times, a few others keep them in their console and numerous folks keep them in their vehicles in Texas summer heat. I’ve never heard of any of them having issues. I am about to grab one for my skiff.
Yeah, not necessarily explosion issues, just shortened life span and such.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have had mine inside my vehicle in the south Florida heat for 2 years and it worked perfectly the other day when I needed it.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,066 Posts
My battery died on my truck monday. Used my Harbor Freight Junk jump charger and it saved my bacon. Truck cranked right up and i drove to get a new battery. Left the jump charger in my truck. Today when I got in my truck that had been sitting in the sun for 2 hours the thermometer on the dash said 109 degrees. Man I'm glad my junk jump chager didn't blow up

·
Brandon, FL
10,934 Posts
Yeah, not necessarily explosion issues, just shortened life span and such.
Like so many things they are cheap and therefore disposable. I will replace mine every couple years whether it has been used or not. To my knowledge there is no way to test under load like a car battery. So out with the old and in with the new.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts