Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a wooden boat in about 6months and just thinking, has anyone ever tried Line-X for their hulls?
I did a search but nothing unless I did that wrong.
It reads that it can be applied to wood, fiberglass, plastics etc., and it seals they say.
Seems easy enough, maybe even epoxy the hull then Line-X it.
I did submit a eMail asking some questions but just seeing it anyone here had experience etc.
Thanks,
http://www.linex.com/protective-coatings/recreational

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,290 Posts
Line-x is pretty heavy so not ideal for a ultra light skiffs, also I would imagine that all the texture would add for some loss in speed as well. Plus how many line-x truck beds have you seen with chips/cracks/gouges.

G

·
Line x is a great product, I don’t think it would great on the outside of a hull though. Line x interior has been done and it seems That half are happy and half wished they’d done something else.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In Montana Line X is used frequently for drift boats both wood and fiberglass. I had my fiberglass driftboat done about 4 years ago, it's a smooth texture on the bottom and textured up the chines for a better finished look. I wish I would have done it years ago. It works flawlessly. I run over plenty of rocks and it just slides off. Dealer told me it only added 12 lbs and is a 16 ft boat. There is a wooden boat maker and he has every boat bottom done before sale. They are very high end boats, which tells me it is working great for him.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a wooden boat maker and he has every boat bottom done before sale. They are very high end boats, which tells me it is working great for him.
Do you know, or can you call to see if they spray directly on the wood or do they epoxy the wood first?
Thanks,
Thinking this will save a lot of time glassing etc.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,597 Posts
Do you know, or can you call to see if they spray directly on the wood or do they epoxy the wood first?
Thanks,
Thinking this will save a lot of time glassing etc.
Did you buy plans for a boat or are you going off your own designs? The plans should come with a laminating schedule for the outside of the hull, follow that. If you are going off your own plans, you should still laminate the outside of the hull. So yes, use the epoxy before any final coating such as line-x if that's what you decide on. Personally I would always prefer the graphite epoxy mix to the other options for the final coat.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now if someone could come up with a dimpled surface. That might decrease resistance tremendously.
Why not roll a gold ball over the surface when tacky.
U think that would work?
Just a thought.
Maybe if I glass I will try it.
Great thought.

I saw a myth busters show and they did a car like that and it worked.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Line-X Sarasota does all kinds of marine applications.
I'll have to call them and see how it's holding up, I'm sure they will tell me just fine.
I'll ask if epoxy coat first etc. we will see if I can get any answers.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have a Lo tide 25 that I put Line-X on when new in 2008. It is the colored product. It will scrub a couple of MPH off of your top end with the original product, but it has held up very well with only one spot on the corner of the hard edge chine chipped. (I really smacked a dock corner hard on that one). The only other area is the very front, leading edge of the keel is rubbed off a little from beaching and running up on ramps for over 10 years. If there is a newer, smoother product available you may not have any loss of speed. Mine was done at Line-X of Tampa Bay on US 19 in Clearwater.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a Lo tide 25 that I put Line-X on when new in 2008. It is the colored product. It will scrub a couple of MPH off of your top end with the original product, but it has held up very well with only one spot on the corner of the hard edge chine chipped. (I really smacked a dock corner hard on that one). The only other area is the very front, leading edge of the keel is rubbed off a little from beaching and running up on ramps for over 10 years. If there is a newer, smoother product available you may not have any loss of speed. Mine was done at Line-X of Tampa Bay on US 19 in Clearwater.
Wow thank for the info and report. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
I asked the Clearwater operator about this a few months ago since they are right down the street from my house and they referred me to the Sarasota Line-X

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.