Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have an 8wt NRX that I fish with airflo tropical punch and really like this setup for windy days and quick long casts. I also have an 8wt Meridian and have tried the tropical punch but it is not my favorite on that rod. I think I need something less aggressive and more delicate due to the additional tip flex on the Meridian. I don't want to select a line that is too delicate though as my casting is typically fast with power.

I'm making a trip to South Andros in late 2019 so trying to get my setups together. I would likely use the NRX for windy days and Meridian for calmer days.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Too many choices out there and I'm having analysis paralysis on my selection.

Scott recommends SA Mastery Bonefish, Rio Bonefish, Airflo Bonefish for the Meridian 8wt.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I started with the SA grand slam (same line) on my meridians and then went to the cortland guide with the same thoughts in mind as you posted. It was a slight improvement but ultimately wanted a bigger change and went with the cortland flats taper, which is a true to standard line. This is what the rod is designed for. It requires some getting used to coming off the grand slam/tropical punch type lines but once dialed in it's awesome. I now have that line on three different weight meridians and love the combo across the board.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks tailwalk.

I know there is a lot of love for the Wulff BTT on here. I can't seem to find the taper profile. How does this line compare to the Tropical Punch? I'm wondering if this type of taper will work well for me or if I just need to try something more standard with a long belly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Flats Pro I think is an even heavier line than both the Grand Slam and Tropical Punch. If you found the latter too heavy, then you will not like the Flats Pro.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think my issue is with the taper of the punch vs the weight but I could be wrong. I do like the ability to make quick pickups and fast shots. I never intend this to be an 80 ft delicate presentation setup. If I don't like the flats pro I will check out a traditional normal weighted line. Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I will post the comparison between the two after I have some time on the lines.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,295 Posts
The SA amplitude bonefish fly line(smooth or texture) is a great line for calm water days and smaller flies and match well with the latest fly rod actions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks tailwalk.

I know there is a lot of love for the Wulff BTT on here. I can't seem to find the taper profile. How does this line compare to the Tropical Punch? I'm wondering if this type of taper will work well for me or if I just need to try something more standard with a long belly.
I LOVE the Wulff BTT, BT short, BT intermediate. They actually make me look good in my casting...ha.
Thanks tailwalk.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tropical Punch and Grand Slam are three quarters of a line heavy and Flats Pro is a full line weight heavy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok. I canceled my order for the flats pro. Just went out and threw the punch on my meridian and am going to try something lighter with more belly. You guys convinced me.

The airflow ridge clear looks good but I don't want a 12' clear tip.

SA amp bonefish textured?

Anything else good with standard weight and decent belly?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts