Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
I’ve had a Meridian 7wt for about five months now. Started with the SA Amplitude bonefish which was great for throwing small flies with precision. That rod/line combo definitely excels when you have time for multiple backcasts and are holding lots of line in the air. Switched to the Royal Wulff Bermuda Shorts recently as I primarily use the rod for redfish. Kinda a funky line with how thick the shooting head is. Been very pleased though; allows me to turn over bushy, heavier redfish flies and hit fish in close with one quick backcast. Ultimately, I think line choice just depends on the type of fishing you’ll be doing the majority of the time.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve had a Meridian 7wt for about five months now. Started with the SA Amplitude bonefish which was great for throwing small flies with precision. That rod/line combo definitely excels when you have time for multiple backcasts and are holding lots of line in the air. Switched to the Royal Wulff Bermuda Shorts recently as I primarily use the rod for redfish. Kinda a funky line with how thick the shooting head is. Been very pleased though; allows me to turn over bushy, heavier redfish flies and hit fish in close with one quick backcast. Ultimately, I think line choice just depends on the type of fishing you’ll be doing the majority of the time.
This will be a redfish/bonefish outfit. So I'm guessing i will be making shorter shots. More about the accuracy and willing to sacrifice a little distance.

· Registered
159 Posts
I’d go with a general saltwater taper then if using for multiple species. The Bermuda Shorts line is definitely a specialized line and not ideal for quiet presentations (i.e. bonefishing). But, it works for my redfishing as I’m usually fishing narrow winding creeks with very muddy water.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d go with a general saltwater taper then if using for multiple species. The Bermuda Shorts line is definitely a specialized line and not ideal for quiet presentations (i.e. bonefishing). But, it works for my redfishing as I’m usually fishing narrow winding creeks with very muddy water.
I will be in Charleston in a few weeks for tailers. Looking forward to giving this rig a workout

· Registered
458 Posts
Sa saltwater is what I'm throwing on mine which works well for lighter lead eyed flies. For unweighted or bead chain I would l try a bonefish taper or some other true to weight line. Every time I think about lining a meridian I come back to bartschi in that video saying choose a true to weight line with as long a head as you can manage

· Registered
G3 16 CCJ
123 Posts
I have a Meridian 7 weight arriving this weekend and will be trying out an Amplitude Grand Slam (#7) on it. That’s currently my default line (in 8-weight) for my Meridian 8 (with Orvis Bank Shot, Ignitor and Salt Water All-Rounder as options for certain situations).

· Registered
G3 16 CCJ
123 Posts
Let me know how it goes.
The line arrived today and I strung it up on my new Meridian 7 which arrived yesterday. As expected the Amplitude GS performed as a good compromise between punch and delicacy. I’ll be using it with that line as my light rod for summer redfish and snook here in Florida and as my light bonefish rod in the Caribbean in January. I will likely switch to an Orvis Bank Shot or non-tropical Salt Water All-Rounder by November with the cooling water and added availability of jacks and big ladyfish on topwater. (Cooler water will make the tropical line a little stiff and with the Bank Shot line the rod will cast poppers like a sling shot!)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The line arrived today and I strung it up on my new Meridian 7 which arrived yesterday. As expected the Amplitude GS performed as a good compromise between punch and delicacy. I’ll be using it with that line as my light rod for summer redfish and snook here in Florida and as my light bonefish rod in the Caribbean in January. I will likely switch to an Orvis Bank Shot or non-tropical Salt Water All-Rounder by November with the cooling water and added availability of jacks and big ladyfish on topwater. (Cooler water will make the tropical line a little stiff and with the Bank Shot line the rod will cast poppers like a sling shot!)
Nice! I'm gonna run a SA mastery bonefish in 8wt just to get a feel for the 210 grain weight and adjust accordingly. I believe the 7wt GS Amp is 205 grains. It could be what I'm looking for.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The line arrived today and I strung it up on my new Meridian 7 which arrived yesterday. As expected the Amplitude GS performed as a good compromise between punch and delicacy. I’ll be using it with that line as my light rod for summer redfish and snook here in Florida and as my light bonefish rod in the Caribbean in January. I will likely switch to an Orvis Bank Shot or non-tropical Salt Water All-Rounder by November with the cooling water and added availability of jacks and big ladyfish on topwater. (Cooler water will make the tropical line a little stiff and with the Bank Shot line the rod will cast poppers like a sling shot!)[/QUOTE

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, ended up going with the GS amplitude. After casting, rod is plenty accurate and the line lays out straighter than other lines I've used. Practiced with weighted n unweighted flies. Cast awesome with weighted. Should b good line for reds in the grass and bones anywhere. Find out in a month. Thanks for all the input guys!

· Registered
819 Posts
I come back to bartschi in that video saying choose a true to weight line with as long a head as you can manage
That's what works for me. For my 7, 8, and 9 rods I like the airflo ridge clear tip one size down from the rod. I like the long head and rear taper on that line. Since the head is long, and it's over the standard weight, I'm finding that one size down just feels right for me.

If you want a really long head/rear taper line, I'd suggest looking at a barrio gt125. I actually fished that quite a bit last winter. Worked nicely so long as I didn't try to throw a heavily weighted fly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.