Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any line suggestions for this rod? I'm in need of a floater for flats fishing (bones and permit) and intermediate and a faster sinker (S6+) for Striper fishing off beaches, rocks and the occasional boat.

Ideas so far:
Outbound short (maybe line down to an 8?)
SA titan tapers full intermediate + 3/5/7
Rio IT striper intermediate
Rio IT striper sinker 300 grain (8wt) ?

Thanks for any help!

Jon

·
Registered
687 Posts
def stay true to the line wt. that rod is fast so buying rio lines (they are usually a line wt heavier) will work just fine. you're gonna get a lot of opinions. but you won't go wrong with any mid to high end lines. i've grown really fond of the flats pro line rio has. if you want a textured line like the grand slam go with SA or Orvis. SA builds orvis line so same tapers just different colors. NRX 9wt is a tank of a rod. you can catch anything with that thing. for bones and permit you might want to look at a longer tapered line to help you carry more line and make accurate casts at long range. now for the striper stuff im lost so.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have tropical punch on my NRX 9 wt too. I fished a few days in the Keys last week and loved that setup. Caught several juvenile tarpon, redfish and had a couple snook pop off. We had wind in the 10-20 mph range over our trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the outbound shorts - I fish them on both my #8 and #10 NRX's. They load the rod well and that running line shoots like a demon once it's wet and stretched a bit. I like the 375 grain WF9F/I on the 10. With a 2/0 clouser this is my go-to exploring rig from the rocks or the boat. That line is rated as a #9; your suggestion of the #8 at 330 grains sounds good to me for the 9 weight NRX. I have the tropical models for the record. If you were fishing unweighted flies more you might decide to go with the 375 gr.

I haven't done much striper fishing, but the old SA Streamer Express in a 450 gr gets down in a hurry. I used to fish that line on an old 1090-4 Xi2 and it was a great "get down now" setup for the few times we did east coast stuff. It lacks the finesse of the Outbound lines though.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Yes the NRX 9wt likes the Airflow Bruce Chard Tropic Punch and the SA Grand Slam. Both are slightly overweight, but the 9wt becomes slightly more stiff than the 8wt version of that rod. So those slightly heavier lines pairs perfectly with that rod. If it was the 8wt, then I would suggest sticking with a more true to weight line.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"Yes the NRX 9wt likes the Airflow Bruce Chard Tropic Punch and the SA Grand Slam. Both are slightly overweight, but the 9wt becomes slightly more stiff than the 8wt version of that rod. So those slightly heavier lines pairs perfectly with that rod. If it was the 8wt, then I would suggest sticking with a more true to weight line."

Airflo Tropical Punch and SA Grand Slam are the same,identical tapers! B. Chard first "designed" it for SA and than switched to Airflo. To my knowledge!!!
IN my opinion SA makes it better than Airflo. Slicker and with thinner running line. FYI and BTW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any line suggestions for this rod? I'm in need of a floater for flats fishing (bones and permit) and intermediate and a faster sinker (S6+) for Striper fishing off beaches, rocks and the occasional boat.

Ideas so far:
Outbound short (maybe line down to an 8?)
SA titan tapers full intermediate + 3/5/7
Rio IT striper intermediate
Rio IT striper sinker 300 grain (8wt) ?

Thanks for any help!

Jon
Anybody try theFlatsPro on the NRX?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts