Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just bought a 12 wt SWS for a trip Mid-May. I think I am going am going to buy a silver king for the reel. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which line to match with this combo?

Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I love my SWS 12 weight. I use the SA Mastery Tarpon WF12 on a Hardy Fortuna XDS 12000. I’ve got my first trip in June so I’m not the best resource, but my practice casts have done well. It was set up by some of the guys at a shop here in Houston.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Just bought a 12 wt SWS for a trip Mid-May. I think I am going am going to buy a silver king for the reel. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which line to match with this combo?

Thanks!
I have a TFO 12 wt. with SA Tarpon Amplitude line on a Nautilus Silver King. Only small tarpon so far; but some pretty good sharks & jacks. Line casts great for me. Can pick up a lot of line for second shot. It is a textured line.

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
127 Posts
I personally like the Rio tarpon quickshooter, but in the end it's all going to come down to personal preference.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts

Thanks!
Mid-Way = Huge GT's. Your flies will be larger than normal. I'm a big fan of that rod and a true to weight Tarpon line is a great line to use on it, mostly for tarpon. But remember, relative to a good tarpon fly vs the line weight and profile itself, is like a small #4 bonefish fly on a bonefish line, trying to get the attention of a large bruiser jack crevalle. So if that is the case, let's re-think this whole thing.

So then, what's your target and what size flies are you really throwing at them?

We can also address backing, because you'll be using plenty of it. I assuming you'll be fishing from a boat or rock jetties as well, right? The water is deep too where you'll be fishing, right?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mid-Way = Huge GT's. Your flies will be larger than normal. I'm a big fan of that rod and a true to weight Tarpon line is a great line to use on it, mostly for tarpon. But remember, relative to a good tarpon fly vs the line weight and profile itself, is like a small #4 bonefish fly on a bonefish line, trying to get the attention of a large bruiser jack crevalle. So if that is the case, let's re-think this whole thing.

So then, what's your target and what size flies are you really throwing at them?

We can also address backing, because you'll be using plenty of it. I assuming you'll be fishing from a boat or rock jetties as well, right? The water is deep too where you'll be fishing, right?
This is from 2019 , he should have already gone on the trip (Mid-May not Mid-Way). I was curious how he did but he hasn't responded back in awhile.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
This is from 2019 , he should have already gone on the trip (Mid-May not Mid-Way). I was curious how he did but he hasn't responded back in awhile.
Oh ok, my bad! :confused: Didn't notice the date.

Yes it would be interested to see how he did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts