Line colors

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brett, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I've noticed a lot of you are using braided lines while I still like monofilament,
    but we won't go there. I would like opinions on line color preferences for
    Northeast Florida. I still use Ande pink. Years ago while fishing and diving
    with 2 other boats off Elliot Key and a variety of line types available we all
    dropped over the side with masks to see the fishes view of lines. We all had
    cast a line to a white spot next to the coral head we were working and swam
    to the head. We could see all the lines but one. We kept bumping into it.
    Ande pink. Found out later why, has to do with the absorbtion of the color
    spectrum by water. Red is absorbed first, blue last. But that was in the gin
    clear waters of Biscayne National Park. What works best up here?

2. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

don't think line color is a big deal if you use good quality and long Floracarbon leaders.

that's just me....

3. litlblusrn4bigred

litlblusrn4bigred Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. I use Seaguar and dont seem to have problem at all. I have a good friend who uses that Ande and swears by it.....that is until he started using braid. :-?

4. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

yeah, I'm a mono guy myself, but Matt is right most of the "braid" guys use clear mono leaders, fluro or regular.

We did the same dive tests back in the day too, especially when Stren came out the the Florida Orange line, which I really liked for everything but leaderless for bones and permit on the flats. Otherwise we always used shock leader of some kind. Even today I use Hi-vis Ande green mono for nearly everything. Might break down and try braid on a light plug casting outfit for hammering the mangroves for snook and stuff. - eric

5. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Braid color doesn't matter as long as you are using leader material. ;)

6. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

Tried the same test too... I ended up crashing a Zara Spook on the surface.

I don't know what got in to me.

7. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³

the red is a great color for those whom use mono line.

me, braid with 16# floro leader.

8. kdhs10

kdhs10 Well-Known Member

Up here in Jacksonville, I haven't noticed any difference in the color of my braid (green, yellow, red) even without a leader. I think the water is too cloudy for it to matter up here.

9. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Good point on the silt issue. When braids first came out, went fishing with
    a die-hard snook fanatic. We were up Shark River casting hard plastic at points
    Incoming tide had made for silty water and line color had no effect on strikes.
    I was using 20 lb Ande mono and he was pitching 50lb braid on thumb-burners.
    The advantage was on miscasts, he could pop the plugs out of the mangroves
    but I had to pull up and manually remove them or lose the lure. Also if he got a
    strike from an immature jewfish he could deal with it.

10. Un-shore

I used to not use a leader with braid in silty water until one time the braid cut into an over slot snook where the upper part of the gill plate meets the body. Now as a safety concern to a release fish I use pink flouro and it disappears quite well. Plus you won't get the braid tangled in trebles when you skip your lures.

11. deerfly

I might get struck by lightning if the snook gods read this, but I think 5-20lb jewfish on zara spooks in the mangroves might be more fun than snook. :cool: Last time I got into them south of the faka union canal, man that was wild. I lost 3 spooks as fast as I could re-tie them on one small mangrove point. They don't jump but they sure smash those lures like nothing else and head for the roots. Tough to turn.

[​IMG]

btw, can ya see the line on that spool? 10lb hi-vis Ande. Yeah, I got real lucky this guy took off for deep water instead of the trees. :cool:

12. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Don't do it! Who will defend the old school methods with integrity if you cave? lol

13. deerfly

good point there Tom, but if I don't try the stuff then I can't call you young braid heads out with any authority to back it up. :)

14. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Use to be a Yo-Zori Hybrid fan many moons ago... that was after I had to unhook from the Ande IV machine. Now i'ml almost all braid cept for my big poon stick.

15. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

"I think 5-20lb jewfish on zara spooks in the mangroves might be more fun than snook"

WOW, we see this point the same it must be a South Florida thing.

If they make it to the roots it is all about who can wait the longest...

16. deerfly

Some of you guys may not realize it but when I learned to plug cast braid was "the" norm. It just wasn't no-stretch high tech fiber, it was nylon, which compared to mono was no stretch too. Pretty similar characteristics as braid today. So I already more or less know and appreciate where braid would be a great fit for plug gear, especially for leveraging strong fish from cover and I will most likely spool some up on a plug outfit. Maybe even before my choko trip next weekend and give it a go. :)

Jan you got any mfr's lined up to give me some so I can do a review? ;D

17. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

All this time I've been using 6-20lb pink mono with 30-80lb pink mono shock leaders
    and now you tell me fluorocarbon comes in pink. I gotta get out more.

Jewfish of any size can make a day, especially when out front turns to split pea soup.
    You could get away with 1/4" nylon on a day like this.

[​IMG]

Now in 2 guesses or less, name the building in the background.

BTW this was taken during the time when jewfish had been overharvested.
    A researcher at FWC was asking for photos of juvies with gps coords to track
    the rebound and where the new generations were showing up.

18. deerfly

ok, I'll go first... the now defunct Flamingo restaurant and spa. :)

19. Un-shore

"All this time I've been using 6-20lb pink mono with 30-80lb pink mono shock leaders
    and now you tell me fluorocarbon comes in pink. I gotta get out more."

heres the pink stuff :)

http://www.yo-zuri.com/Products/ProdLine/HDCarbonFluoro.htm

20. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Man I miss that Lodge...