Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking getting another pair of lightweight bibs. Something that isn’t as heavy as my current bass pro/goretex ones. They get to hot.

I’d prefer to not spend $300 on them buttt we all know how that works. So if anyone knows of any deals I’d be interested!

Thanks!

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I repurpose old breathable waders that have small pinhole or seam leaks. Just cut the feet off them and they work great for rain and wind bibs.
Hell, I’ve found some decently cheap waders for ~$100. I could just buy them and immediately re-purpose them. I’m going to MIBS in two weekends too, maybe they have new stuff too

·
I Love microskiff.com!
686 Posts
If you look on Sierra Trading post or Backcountry you can actually buy Caddis or cheaper brands of waders for like 50 bucks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Simms challenger bibs are good. They are not goretex but they do a good job as lightweight bib option that won’t break the bank.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
Agree, if you have a pair of old stocking foots, cut the feet off.

Have owned 3 pairs of Orvis, they all were junk, sacrificing the last pair as a bib overall makes me happy. I tried the frog togg coveralls and they are junk, worse than Orvis.

Simms waders and gear are top of the line. Warranty?... call Montana and speak with an American!

With the cheapo's available on numerous sites, used for sale, buy several, chop them off and stow them behind the seat of your fishing truck or in your boat.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Look on Ebay! I recently picked up a great pair of lightly used Simms bibs for half price!

Reactions: Godzuki86

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Are you wearing them because of the weather or are you afraid of fish slime? Just asking. I wear cheap white t shirts the ones from Walmart 3 pack and whatever shorts I pick up from Ross or TJ Max I'd rather spend my money on fishing tackle and boats the fish don't care what you're wearing. For full disclosure I'm a fly fisherman so the money I save on clothes I just blow on fly tackle. And for your answer I'm lucky to live down south so they're not really needed but the Simms that the have at Bass pro shop look pretty nice.

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I’ll look into all the options you suggested.

Backcountry - I cant tell if you’re trolling, trying to be a jerk or genuinely trying to help. I think you’re trying to help.

But to answer your questions, I’m not afraid of “fish slime”. These are for the summer rains. I don’t wear cheap cotton t shirts for many reasons. For one, I think they are hot. Cotton doesn’t breathe the same as the newer materials. Secondly, I don’t wear short sleeve t-shirts. I only wear long sleeves and preferably ones with a built in hood for sun protection. I’m aware fish don’t care what I’m wearing but I do. There are many times when I fish in the summer that the nasty South Florida thunderstorms roll through. I’ve dealt with them here my whole life (I actually live a little bit farther south than you do) and while sometimes it’s feasible to quickly put the boat on the trailer if needed a lot of times it’s not. I routinely fish 35+ miles (My last two trips covered 82 miles and 101 miles total round trip) from the ramp one way. I much rather would make an hour run home and be warm and dry than a macho man wet and cold. I think I will look into the Simms gear, just not from bass pro. If I am paying retail for something I will give my money to a small local business like Nick Davis has built unless I could find some gently used, second hand on eBay etc.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Thanks guys. I’ll look into all the options you suggested.

Backcountry - I cant tell if you’re trolling, trying to be a jerk or genuinely trying to help. I think you’re trying to help.

But to answer your questions, I’m not afraid of “fish slime”. These are for the summer rains. I don’t wear cheap cotton t shirts for many reasons. For one, I think they are hot. Cotton doesn’t breathe the same as the newer materials. Secondly, I don’t wear short sleeve t-shirts. I only wear long sleeves and preferably ones with a built in hood for sun protection. I’m aware fish don’t care what I’m wearing but I do. There are many times when I fish in the summer that the nasty South Florida thunderstorms roll through. I’ve dealt with them here my whole life (I actually live a little bit farther south than you do) and while sometimes it’s feasible to quickly put the boat on the trailer if needed a lot of times it’s not. I routinely fish 35+ miles (My last two trips covered 82 miles and 101 miles total round trip) from the ramp one way. I much rather would make an hour run home and be warm and dry than a macho man wet and cold. I think I will look into the Simms gear, just not from bass pro. If I am paying retail for something I will give my money to a small local business like Nick Davis has built unless I could find some gently used, second hand on eBay etc.
Who is Nick Davis I too would rather spend my money with the little guy. Do you find the bibs get hot in the middle of summer?

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who is Nick Davis I too would rather spend my money with the little guy. Do you find the bibs get hot in the middle of summer?
Nick Davis is 239Flies on Bonita beach Rd. The Goretex Bibs I have now get very hot. I can’t wear them in anything but the dead of winter. That’s why I’m trying to find a much lighter solution.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Nick Davis is 239Flies on Bonita beach Rd. The Goretex Bibs I have now get very hot. I can’t wear them in anything but the dead of winter. That’s why I’m trying to find a much lighter solution.
Oh 239 flies got it I have been to his shop once. I was wondering about the heat in them thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts