Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The Honda 30 comes in a 15" shaft with power tilt and trim. Weight listed at 155 lbs. BUT it has carbs, which I don't like.

Edited to add: Honda's website list power tilt and trim as "available" My guess is the 155 lb motor is without it.

If I go 30 on my build, I will go Tohatsu.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The Honda 30 comes in a 15" shaft with power tilt and trim. Weight listed at 155 lbs. BUT it has carbs, which I don't like.

Edited to add: Honda's website list power tilt and trim as "available" My guess is the 155 lb motor is without it.

If I go 30 on my build, I will go Tohatsu.
Good to know about the Honda, but I agree with you about the carbs.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea no carbs, I called Tohatsu and they’re 30 weighed 179lbs. Maybe I should drop down to a 25hp to save weight because I want to put a atlas jack plate on also.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The Honda doesn't totally scare me off. Lord knows there are Hondas with thousands of hours on them. A lot of commercial guys here used them and still use them. With ethanol free gas readily available in my area now, I will give them a look.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Tohatsu has a 20hp, electric start and trim and tilt 15in.. weight is 97lbs before the TT.. so maybe 110lbs with it.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Right now if I were putting a new motor on a skiff, 50 HP or below.....I'm going with a Tohatsu 4-stroke all day long. They are the lightest, best performing, and least expensive outboards out there right now.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Suzuki 30hp with a 15" shaft weighs 156lbs. I had one on my waterman they're great little motors.
The Suzuki df30 they only make in 20in shaft but the 25 they make in a 15 and it’s the same motor. I was reading on another thread that the difference is the ECU that make it a 30

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Just build the transom up and get a zuke30
The only drawback for me is I personally like the shortest platform I can get away with. (old age and fear of compound fractures lol).

Reactions: el9surf

·
Registered
454 Posts
The Suzuki df30 they only make in 20in shaft but the 25 they make in a 15 and it’s the same motor. I was reading on another thread that the difference is the ECU that make it a 30
They make a 30hp 15" shaft, but they don't sell it in the US. You can grab one in the Bahamas though :)

Suzuki 30hp 15" shaft
https://www.suzukimarine.com.au/outboards/portables/product/df30

Yeah, I bought a Suzuki 25hp and swapped out the ecu. It takes about 30 seconds to swap out the ECU.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hondas are great motors, but they are turds as far as performance goes in the outboard world.
Although I don’t know much about the different manufacturers (coming from 2stroke outboards 4 stroke performance is much more complicated lol) I am very very happy with my Honda 40. Very very good low end torque and great top end. I get 33/34mph with 2 people and gear on my advent and it jumps up quick. I would definitely buy a new Honda and I think they are on sale right now depending on what hp you buy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts