Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone have a link to fly tying this pattern? I've tied stuff that is close to it, would'nt mind tying the exact one this time around. It's just a smallish white fly with loads of flash. Works great on the beach.
Tom Shadley from Mangrove Outfitters invented it, and for a year or so Montana Fly Co. was producing it.

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the vid, definitely pretty close to a lightbulb. Not sure why he puts pink in there tho? For the most part i dont use any weight on my snook flies for the beach. Usually its pretty shallow, the fish are on the bottom looking up.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Great looking small minnow bug... Should work well around docklights as well... Of course, from all my years as a commercial tyer I was thinking about ways and means of doing it faster - and making the fly a lot tougher -but I'm out of that game now...

I'll be tying up some of them when I get past a bunch of leadhead orders...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went two weeks ago to Everglades City and threw the same lightbulb for 3 hrs and caught probably 20-30 fish. All snook and redfish, mostly average size fish but that lightbulb was the ticket. I had to re tie my leader about 6 times but that lightbulb stayed strong the whole day. It’s now retired to my memory wall with some pictures

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the beach I like smaller ones, sz 1 or 2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, does anyone have a link to fly tying this pattern? I've tied stuff that is close to it, would'nt mind tying the exact one this time around. It's just a smallish white fly with loads of flash. Works great on the beach.
Tom Shadley from Mangrove Outfitters invented it, and for a year or so Montana Fly Co. was producing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tie something similar - "Flash Bang" - a clouser/Charlie hybrid. Marine green/Pearl polarflash wing, pearl polarflash tail with UV krystal flash, pearl bodi braid body with a wrap of clear rib,and a collar of chart. sanyo dubbing. Only problem is the polarflash wing can foul with a lot of blind casting - have to untangle it every so often.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can’t imagine tying a fly with mostly flashabou. It doesn’t look very durable especially when used from the beach. If it catches a nice fish who cares but I would probably add the flash surrounded by Super hair or something that can take more abuse.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts