Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m moving my TM batteries to the bow of my Hewes. Because of the shape my bow compartment, I don’t want to build a battery shelf, I’m thinking about going with a single 24v battery, either Dakota or Battle Born. Has anyone gone this route? How is the run time from a single 24v 50 amp hr as compared to two 12v 100 amp hr barriers?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,297 Posts
I’m moving my TM batteries to the bow of my Hewes. Because of the shape my bow compartment, I don’t want to build a battery shelf, I’m thinking about going with a single 24v battery, either Dakota or Battle Born. Has anyone gone this route? How is the run time from a single 24v 50 amp hr as compared to two 12v 100 amp hr barriers?
Amps per hour

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the amp hr difference. I was looking for some “real world” experience. All the LiFePo sellers say power to run all day. Just wondering if that’s BS.
I know with A/C double the voltage is half the amps. I was wondering if that translates into the D/C world. If so a 24v 50ah would = a 12v 100ah battery.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,297 Posts
I understand the amp hr difference. I was looking for some “real world” experience. All the LiFePo sellers say power to run all day. Just wondering if that’s BS.
I know with A/C double the voltage is half the amps. I was wondering if that translates into the D/C world. If so a 24v 50ah would = a 12v 100ah battery.
If the trolling motor is straining it will draw more amps and kill the battery faster, that’s why most will recommend a 24v trolling motor over a 12v. The 12v top out at 55 pounds thrust and 24v start at 80 pounds of thrust.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i run a Minn Kota I Pilot 80. Just wanting to get away from hauling 2 lead acids. I downsized my console from the original and don’t have the room for two. one 24 LiFePo will fit. Otherwise I’ll have to build a shelf in the bow. I really don’t want a pair of batteries up there with the gas tank.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Single 24v 50 or 60 ah is the way to go. I went overboard with 2 100ah battleborn batteries and haven’t run them down in three straight days without charging. Had I known would have gone single 24v.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
07 Ranger Banshee tiller 40 Hatsu 4stroke
42 Posts
I’ve got a single (lithium battery warehouse) 12v 100ah / 55lb i-Pilot and I can run it two days and half the day on the third day and that’s running it pretty hard. Recharges pretty quick on a NOCO 5.
I’ve been blown away so far just hoping it will last a few years.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If its a 24V Minn Kota, get a 24V battery. I use a 24V 100AH. I can rabbit everywhere never run out. I get a couple of days out of it.

I used to run 2 x 75AH 12V LifPO4 in series (so 24V 75AH) but I could run them flat on a big day out.

Mine is up front. Weighs the same as 8gal of gas and I typically run 20gal (36gal capacity). So I like the balance it gives me up front and levels the skiff out with two guys (one forward, one aft).

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,756 Posts
I've got a Lithium Battery Warehouse 24v 60 Ah battery in my EVOx. Runs my Motor Guide Xi3 70lb thrust longer than I care to fish. I've spent hours on the troller during dock light fishing trips and the battery is barely down on voltage. I've used it a couple days in a row before charging and it is still fully charged in less than an hour.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I decided to go with the Battle Born just because they are assembled in the US with US components on the inside. Their warranty seems to be longer that the others As well. We’ll see how long the 50ah will pull the boat around, as opposed to the 60 or 75ah.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a 12v 55lb thrust on my 16’ Bonefisher. It was powered by 100Ah lead acid. Which is roughly 50ah of usable energy. I never had a problem with capacity and I used it for hours. Since it was lead acid, I had an ACR from Blue Seas charge it while underway. I never had an issue with run time.

Now with a lithium…I plan on doing the same setup on my BT mosquito. The only difference since I’m going to have a gel starting battery and a lithium trolling battery I will be installing a Yandina TrollBridge(lithium model) that way I can charge the trolling motor battery while running. It will be a lithium 50ah battery. Should work like a charm.

If I were you take the battery with the least amount of weight and have the ability to charge while underway. Those Hewes are weight sensitive up front and effects the ride a good bit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’d buy a lithium battery warehouse 24v at 60ah I have two of there 12v 100ah and there awesome can’t beat the price either
Everything is out of stock. Battle Born is having a sale on their blemish batteries. Minor blemishes on the casing, so I just ordered one. $655 for the 24v 50ah.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts