Licence rant

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Swamp, May 3, 2011.

1. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Okay, I realized I needed to get a new license the evening before a planned trip.  No problem, I just went to myfwc.com and bought a new Gold Sportsman license.  Printed out my temp, went fishing, and waited for my "real" one to be sent to me in the mail.  Well it got here today, and I've got to say I'm very disappointed to see that it was sent to me by a private company from Tennessee.  Now I have nothing against the good folks from Tennessee, the ones I've met have been very nice and they have a wonderful state to go visit.  However, why in the hell are we paying a private out of state company to provide a Florida State service?  We need the jobs and our cash to stay here.  FWC is over worked and under paid in my book, that's a fair amount of cash that could be going to the field officers.

[smiley=soapbox.gif]

Swamp

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I don't understand what you are complaining about. It comes from that company because they can produce the cards cheaper then anyone else locally, which means more money stays and goes to the officers. Of all things to get worked up about this is really just a drop in the bucket situation. If the state decided to produce the cards themselves they would cost 3 times the amount even after initial setup costs because of the low volume. The company in question most likely produces cards my the thousands, and the people in Florida just don't buy that many non-paper liscenses.

3. Swamp

Same license I usually get in person.  I'm talking about the paper printout from the same kind of same printer that you find anywhere that sells FL licenses.  I usually go to a tackle shop or other retail outlet to buy my license, maybe this is nothing new.  What else are they going to farm out of state next?  I guess the point is that everyone is complaining about the job market here in FL (me too) yet the state does stuff like this.  Politicians (the ratbastards!  ;)) keep saying we need to create jobs, then stuff like this.  I shouldn't be surprised, I guess I just hate being reminded how often we get lied to regardless of the side of the isle.

Guess I'm just cranky today. It happens.   ::)

Swamp

4. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

First off, call it by the right name.
    Fishing tax. ;)
    If you took a test for competency, its a license.
    If you just handed over money, its a tax.

5. Swamp

True enough.  I would support a real "license".  But that discussion is for another day. :)

Swamp

6. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

That company you refer to started in a different state and then they spent a couple million $$ on technology and started to produce instant licenses for various states for the proud rate of $1.50 per license and now have around 22 states they do business for.

Let the ratbastards try to figure out how to create a computer system to do what this does and it would have cost 15 times as much. This program also prevents people who have had their licenses suspended/revoked from buying them and when you fill out the info it is crossed with enforcement agencies to find the bad guys who are on the lamb.

BTW - when you buy it at Wally World you are using their system and the envelope is the printer attached to the cash register.

But you rant is not taken the wrong way

7. Swamp

Like I said, just cranky today.  Getting torn up for two days by barbed wire from building a fence I really did not want to build probably did not help.  Every article of clothing I had on has at least some blood on it.  No biggie.  I only worry when blood loss is greater than fliud loss due to sweating.  Got me in the forearm good enough though that I can feel my pulse in my hand. The cows are happier now, they get to find out if the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence.  ;)

You are right about the RBs not being able to figure something out for less than twice the normal cost.  Seems like the best thing they seem to be good at is lining the pockets of their cronies and then claiming they didn't have a choice.  I should stop now, there are some genuinely civic minded politicians out there, they just seem to be about as rare as hens teeth and you can't tell the difference by listening to them.

It is what it is and if a few scumbags get nabbed for it, it's a small price to pay.  Private sector free market can be a great catalyst, and at $1.50 (to quote you) I don't feel violated.  It just caught me in just the wrong mood.

Swamp

8. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share a job market experience our company had. Fortunately we have had some growth and needed 2 new employees in the office. Put out the ad and received hundreds of applications.
    After shuffling and reading my boss picked about 18 to interview that looked good. Called, made and later confirmed appointments. Only 8 people showed up to interview. Just makes you wonder if people really want to work sometimes.
    My rant on Florida Job market along with your rant. ;)

9. Swamp

You're right that is just incomprehensible.

Swamp

10. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I thought the Sportsman liscenses were supposed to be changed to the plastic cards now? Which would only make sense since you are on the water. I know certain ones are sent in plastic, maybe it is just the 5 year or lifetime.

Either way perseverence is right. We just had a hiring test for our Fire Dept. Over 100 people showed up, only 32 passed the written tests, which are the same one you need to pass to get into fire academy and is really fairly easy? :-? If we called back all 32 for the oral review panel maybe 20 would show up. Perhaps this is the reason they just cut off 6 weeks worth of unemployement benefits, to make people get motivated. (I know that's not the reason, but it will have that effect)

11. Swamp

Nope, just the normal "plastic" paper.  I didn't even know they were supposed to switch.  Doesn't make sense for a one year license unless you could just get a renewal sticker like on a license plate.  Still probably cost more than just the yearly print out.

12. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

My lifetime is shiny platinum plastic. No idea about other multi years but all of the annuals are paper.