Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 50 hp 2003 Yamaha 2 stroke on my Dolphin renegade that was recently re bored and new pistons put on. Motor ran great through break in without issue until it bogged down (wouldn't go above 3500rpm) and i took it back to the mechanic. He gave it back to me two weeks ago "tuned up" and i put maybe 8 hrs on it since, and running wot for less than 1hr total intermittently. Motor was pissing just fine and had no weird vibration or noise. Yesterday it shook to a stop while running and wouldn't restart. Of course i had my wife and her friend on the boat 30 min before dark and had to get towed out of the lagoon (murphys law). Long story short... starter and all connections bench tested, scrubbed terminals at battery and all good. Then i pulled the plugs and put a socket on the flywheel and it is binding during rotation like the rings are sticking in one of the cylinders.

Am i crazy or should a top end rebuild last longer than 20 hours?
I feel like the mechanic who shall remain nameless should get a verbal lashing from me?
I cannot in good conscience sell this motor to anybody but i cant deal with this crap anymore....what do i do????

·
Carpe Diem
1,629 Posts
You could try to get help from the mechanic. Be polite but firm. That failing, sell the motor for parts and write it off as a lesson learned.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
Assuming there was oil in the tank one has to think your guy did something wrong. When you tell him what happened he WILL KNOW he messed up, it's just whether he'll decide to do the right thing or if you have to apply pressure.
JC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming there was oil in the tank one has to think your guy did something wrong. When you tell him what happened he WILL KNOW he messed up, it's just whether he'll decide to do the right thing or if you have to apply pressure.
JC
Thanks fellas i will talk to him monday and see what he says.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,928 Posts
I have a 50 hp 2003 Yamaha 2 stroke on my Dolphin renegade that was recently re bored and new pistons put on. Motor ran great through break in without issue until it bogged down (wouldn't go above 3500rpm) and i took it back to the mechanic. He gave it back to me two weeks ago "tuned up" and i put maybe 8 hrs on it since, and running wot for less than 1hr total intermittently. Motor was pissing just fine and had no weird vibration or noise. Yesterday it shook to a stop while running and wouldn't restart. Of course i had my wife and her friend on the boat 30 min before dark and had to get towed out of the lagoon (murphys law). Long story short... starter and all connections bench tested, scrubbed terminals at battery and all good. Then i pulled the plugs and put a socket on the flywheel and it is binding during rotation like the rings are sticking in one of the cylinders.

Am i crazy or should a top end rebuild last longer than 20 hours?
I feel like the mechanic who shall remain nameless should get a verbal lashing from me?
I cannot in good conscience sell this motor to anybody but i cant deal with this crap anymore....what do i do????
My 90 Yamaha 1987 was rebuilt and modified 1990, after about 20 hours the motor blew a head gasket and ingested a reed screw into the intake reeds. My local mechanic located the issues, I contacted the engine builder and he eventually agreed to provide the parts with the return of the defected parts. Reassemble of the engine with new parts and it has been perfect since. Engine is still in service 2016. You should let your mechanic check his work for the issues you incurred...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,057 Posts

·
Thread Killer
693 Posts
who did the work, there's only a few in the area?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did the engine issue and the mechanic rebuild work out for you? Please advise...
Well he has the boat now and is fixing the lower end. Seems the old yamaha needed a complete makeover. He honored his word and is taking a long look at it to make sure it didnt have anything to do with his top end rebuild.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,928 Posts
Sound like my mechanic, a 50 year mechanic, slow but great work. My 25 is a Frankenstein, parts from at least 3 engines, modified to near max. but still reliable. 3 lower units, prop shaft, recoil starter, throttle handle, new pistons, reeds, hydrotec engine parts : head, carbs modded, tuner exhaust, block ported. Since rebuild I have 250 hours on the Spear Glade X.

·
Registered
349 Posts
JC

why would you believe the mechanic did something wrong ?

what if the oil tank was empty - empty because the owner failed to check it and the alarm was inop ? would that be someone else' fault ?

people are very quick to blame the people who work on everything...wonder why that is ??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts