Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Lenco tab issue

8K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  jay.bush1434 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem...

The left tab control for my Lenco electric trim tabs quit working recently. The right one still functioned normally. Checked with Beavertail (skiff is a Mosquito) and they fixed another customer's similar problem with a new control pad/module. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock, so I went directly to Lenco Marine. Customer service was great and I received a replacement control pad/module under warranty the next day.

Opened up the wiring bundle to the console and disconnected the three snap connectors and cut the auto retract wire (hard wired with a butt splice). Installed new unit and connected all the harnesses. The left tab control now worked and the right one didn't. Checked fuse for power and it was good. Swapped the two smaller wiring harness bundles but that killed all functions. Actuators were working on both sides before and after new control installed. House battery has 13 volts and tightened lug nuts on terminals. Still no go.

Talked to Lenco CS again and since the shipping box was damaged when it arrived, we suspected a damaged control unit. A new one arrived again the next day and I installed it Friday. Still the same reverse gripe--left tab works and right doesn't.

Calling Lenco again Monday for additional suggestions. Thinking next step might be metering the wires from connector plugs to fuse block and actuators to verify power at all points. Still doesn't make sense why the problem swapped sides?

Any ideas from the MS brain trust?

See less See more
#5 ·
I was having hell with my Lencos just randomly not working. After a lot of fiddling around it turned out to be a bad factory connector from the switch pad extension cable to the control box. I cut the connectors off and it turns out there were 10 wires on the extension cable but only 5 wires on the cable going to the control box. The wire colors didn’t match up and there is no wiring diagram available. So, I removed the switch pad and mapped the connector to find up/down both sides positive and the common. Then reconnected switch pad and ohmed out the wires at the other end where I cut the connector. From there I was able to eliminate 5 of the wires (I don’t have auto retract or LED indicators). The basic wiring diagrams in the owner’s manual aren’t very helpful at all. It was a little bit of trial and error to get up and down working on both sides in the correct sequence but after a couple tries we had it figured out. Then I used heat shrink butt connectors to put everything back together. I have the wiring diagram with the how the wires are supposed to be connected I can send you to try. You really can’t fry anything with wires hooked up wrong since it is fuse protected. It will work or it won’t. Just don’t let the wires on the control box end of the touch since that is where the hot leads will be. I pulled the fuse and turned the battery switch off when working on the wires and swapping them around.

#8 ·
Jay.Bush, thanks for the info. I'd like to get the diagram from you, if you don't mind. PM me your email and I'll shoot you mine. I don't have LEDs or the auto retract, either. Sounds like this is what topnative did as well.

The Lenco tech I've been working with has been great. He was going to personally test another control pad and send it to me. Sounds like the ultimate solution will be to break out the crimpers and butt splices and go to work, though.

#10 ·
I am having the same intermittent issue with brand new tabs so unfortunately this is not looking like an isolated issue. The new model now has a mandatory auto-retract that has to be wired into the ignition. Drives me a little crazy (when they are working) to listen to the trim tabs every time you turn the ignition off. It makes the noise even if the tabs are fully retracted.

#20 ·
I ran lencos when they first came out and have had them on my boats except for about 6 yrs(06-12) and no problems except for one ram went and was replaced for free.I got a new set and those plug and play connectors failed from day one...cut them out and all was well..........now I have the auto retract and mounted under the hull as in recessed...so far so good

I want nothing to do w/ bennetts.......did someone sat bennett brought lenco out???

Boat is a 4 letter word ..

#25 ·
View attachment 78708 View attachment 78710 Smackdaddy, thats what the switches look like. I figured there would be breaker resets under the rubber buttons but I don't think there is.
View attachment 78708 View attachment 78710 Smackdaddy, thats what the switches look like. I figured there would be breaker resets under the rubber buttons but I don't think there is.
Those might be the glass fuses. Try to unscrew the cap and see if theres a glass fuse inside. If so and your tabs are working intermittently you could have some corrosion on the fuse contacts.

#27 ·
I just read up on the Bennet Bolts. All electric and will likely be my tab of choice on my next boat.

So here are a couple things I found with my Lenco issues. The factory connections between the control pad and the control box where the two cables connect, had a loose wire or a bad crimp on one or more of the pins inside the connector. Even though East cape heat shrinked the connecton together to keep it extra sealed and securely together, it failed. For a while it was intermittent. Sometimes the tabs would work and sometimes they wouldn't. When I finally fount the issue, I ended up cutting the connectors off and splicing the wires together.

Next was where the cable plugged into the switch pad circuit board. The connector that was potted and soldered into the circuit board just pulled out and ripped the soldered connections off. To make the issue worse, Lenco stopped making that switch pad in the Fall of 2016 and replaced it with a switch pad that has the control box integrated into it. For me it would require I significant rewire of my boat since the pad in on my flats tower and the control box is in the aft hatch. I am searching hard for a replacement old style switch pad before I suffer through the forced upgrade.

#30 ·
Ok, after much sweat, cursing and beer, here is the wiring schematic from my Lenco tabs. This has the wire connecting sequence from the switch pad to the control box (10 wires to 5 wires). I do not have the LED indicators or the auto retract. I labeled what the button does and what the tabs actually do for each wire color connection that I used. Best to hook them together temporarily and test before making up permanent connections. I wouldn't expect the wires to be different but YMMV hence my suggestion.
This is for Lenco part #30006-001D, standard tactile pad, no LED. Feel free to message me if you have questions with my drawing/labels/poor handwriting. In the meantime, if you need a replacement switch pad, get to looking and buy the first one you can get your hands on. They are very hard to come by.
Best of luck- Jaybird

Attachments

#31 ·
Let me add to my above post. I had to cut the factory connection off the wires since one of the pins was broken inside (not sure how that happened but it is a boat). If you need to/want to just build your own switch pad with rocker switches or use the Lenco basic switch pad with standard rocker switches, you can use the wire color connection sequences to make it up. Also, Lenco told me that the new replacement version with integrated control box will be a plug and play replacement. If you have room to mount it and still have the factory connections you could get by with just using the "upgraded" version. I did not have the room in my flat tower console to mount the new style and the control box was in an aft hatch and would require pretty much derigging the whole console to get all the old wires out and the new wires in. I was very lucky and found an old style switch pad at my local Suzuki engine shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.