Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Panhandler
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem...

The left tab control for my Lenco electric trim tabs quit working recently. The right one still functioned normally. Checked with Beavertail (skiff is a Mosquito) and they fixed another customer's similar problem with a new control pad/module. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock, so I went directly to Lenco Marine. Customer service was great and I received a replacement control pad/module under warranty the next day.

Opened up the wiring bundle to the console and disconnected the three snap connectors and cut the auto retract wire (hard wired with a butt splice). Installed new unit and connected all the harnesses. The left tab control now worked and the right one didn't. Checked fuse for power and it was good. Swapped the two smaller wiring harness bundles but that killed all functions. Actuators were working on both sides before and after new control installed. House battery has 13 volts and tightened lug nuts on terminals. Still no go.

Talked to Lenco CS again and since the shipping box was damaged when it arrived, we suspected a damaged control unit. A new one arrived again the next day and I installed it Friday. Still the same reverse gripe--left tab works and right doesn't.

Calling Lenco again Monday for additional suggestions. Thinking next step might be metering the wires from connector plugs to fuse block and actuators to verify power at all points. Still doesn't make sense why the problem swapped sides?

Any ideas from the MS brain trust?

·
Panhandler
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Smack. The potted harnesses from the new control pad are all new. Will have to shimmy around in the bilge and check the ones coming off the tabs.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,525 Posts
I was having hell with my Lencos just randomly not working. After a lot of fiddling around it turned out to be a bad factory connector from the switch pad extension cable to the control box. I cut the connectors off and it turns out there were 10 wires on the extension cable but only 5 wires on the cable going to the control box. The wire colors didn’t match up and there is no wiring diagram available. So, I removed the switch pad and mapped the connector to find up/down both sides positive and the common. Then reconnected switch pad and ohmed out the wires at the other end where I cut the connector. From there I was able to eliminate 5 of the wires (I don’t have auto retract or LED indicators). The basic wiring diagrams in the owner’s manual aren’t very helpful at all. It was a little bit of trial and error to get up and down working on both sides in the correct sequence but after a couple tries we had it figured out. Then I used heat shrink butt connectors to put everything back together. I have the wiring diagram with the how the wires are supposed to be connected I can send you to try. You really can’t fry anything with wires hooked up wrong since it is fuse protected. It will work or it won’t. Just don’t let the wires on the control box end of the touch since that is where the hot leads will be. I pulled the fuse and turned the battery switch off when working on the wires and swapping them around.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
... and I thought that the occasional hassle with my old Bennetts was a problem... At least they provide clear schematics and lots of assistance whenever you have a problem...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lenco trim tabs are a pain. I replaced the motor in one last night only find one of the screw nuts don’t line up properly anymore so I spent 2 hours fiddling with that. Went ahead and hooked everything up and it still doesn’t work.

·
Panhandler
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jay.Bush, thanks for the info. I'd like to get the diagram from you, if you don't mind. PM me your email and I'll shoot you mine. I don't have LEDs or the auto retract, either. Sounds like this is what topnative did as well.

The Lenco tech I've been working with has been great. He was going to personally test another control pad and send it to me. Sounds like the ultimate solution will be to break out the crimpers and butt splices and go to work, though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Having issues with both my tabs working intermittently. Sometimes they work fine sometimes they don't at all. Seems like a loose wire somewhere. They're pretty much brand new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am having the same intermittent issue with brand new tabs so unfortunately this is not looking like an isolated issue. The new model now has a mandatory auto-retract that has to be wired into the ignition. Drives me a little crazy (when they are working) to listen to the trim tabs every time you turn the ignition off. It makes the noise even if the tabs are fully retracted.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I am having the same intermittent issue with brand new tabs so unfortunately this is not looking like an isolated issue. The new model now has a mandatory auto-retract that has to be wired into the ignition. Drives me a little crazy (when they are working) to listen to the trim tabs every time you turn the ignition off. It makes the noise even if the tabs are fully retracted.
Clip the orange wire and it will stop.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Ok, what does that do?
That’s the wire that ties into the ignition to tell the control box to tell the tabs to auto retract when the ignition is shut off.
The tabs will make noise even if they are fully retracted if the auto retract is in service. The worm gears in the cylinders don’t bottom out up or down, if they did more tab motors would fail and fuses would pop because people tend to not know when to stop. Once full retract or extend is reached the worm gear runs out of gears and free spins.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
Without turning this into a brand bashing thread or even derailing it, why would anyone buy a product that has two years guarantee on their actuators over one that's guaranteed for life ?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks Smack, good info there. So I just got home from work and started messing with the tabs. Nothing was working, turned the power switch for the whole boat off and back on, tabs worked. Any ideas? Circuit board maybe?

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Thanks Smack, good info there. So I just got home from work and started messing with the tabs. Nothing was working, turned the power switch for the whole boat off and back on, tabs worked. Any ideas? Circuit board maybe?
Are they on a fuse or a breaker that resets?

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Without turning this into a brand bashing thread or even derailing it, why would anyone buy a product that has two years guarantee on their actuators over one that's guaranteed for life ?
Bennet tabs involved fluid pump and hoses and were not reliable and leaked etcc......the original lencos were simple and reliable then they got fancy

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Bennet tabs involved fluid pump and hoses and were not reliable and leaked etcc......the original lencos were simple and reliable then they got fancy
You can still wire them with any switches you want, it’s the switches and wiring that seem to fail on people, read the posts, it’s just like trailer lights, navigation lights etc. Just about any accessory issue goes back to water intrusion, corrosion, bad ground, low battery voltage, bad battery etc. I deal with diesel trucks, tractors, lawnmowers and other vehicles and tools and it’s usually a simple wiring or voltage issue that causes failure and with our boats it’s adding saltwater to the equation. The Lencos on my 20 year old HPX Tunnel are the original ones with updated control box and switches. Water and electricity don’t mix, that’s probably why most electrical components on anything for marine use have a separate lesser warranty. That’s also why you see more jackplates with built in electric motors fail. I just installed a new Bob’s jackplate and the electric/hydraulic pump has a tag that states that it will not be warrantied for issues from getting wet whether it be mounted in a wet location or submersed.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I ran lencos when they first came out and have had them on my boats except for about 6 yrs(06-12) and no problems except for one ram went and was replaced for free.I got a new set and those plug and play connectors failed from day one...cut them out and all was well..........now I have the auto retract and mounted under the hull as in recessed...so far so good

I want nothing to do w/ bennetts.......did someone sat bennett brought lenco out???

Boat is a 4 letter word ..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts