Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to buy my first boat this weekend, a lightly used 2019 boat with trailer and outboard located in Texas, and hauling back to Georgia. What do I need as far as paperwork goes?

Obviously I get the titles but do I need some kind of documentation showing what I paid the seller? Does he or myself need to sign anything on the titles?

The seller has title for the motor, boat, and certificate of origin for the trailer.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would call the DMV or DNR or wherever you have to register the boat and get an itemized list of all the paperwork you need.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
I’d get a bill of sale for each over and above. good luck. Stay safe. You just don’t want to go the bonded route. Play the game. Jump thru the hoops. Keep it legal

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
And, why is the trailer not registered?........may be a problem

like stated above cover yourself w/ bill of sales and DL # of seller

·
Registered
33 Posts
As I recall, and it's been a long time, GA trailers are licensed by the Tag office but the boat and motor are done by mail with the DNR.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And, why is the trailer not registered?........may be a problem

like stated above cover yourself w/ bill of sales and DL # of seller
The trailer is registered (He's going to give me a copy of his registration). Just not title for the trailer, which from what I can tell is normal.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would want to know why there’s not a title for the trailer. In Georgia you don’t need a title to register a boat, just a bill of sale. That is about to change though but I don’t know if it applies to new boats, used boats or what. The law was just passed recently and DNR doesn’t even know how to interpret it. You do need a title, and/or a bill of sale or MSO( Manufactures’ Statement of Origin) to register the trailer. The trailer can be registered and titled in Georgia without either, but a Sheriff’s deputy in the county where you live has to come inspect the trailer and run the VIN to make sure it isn’t stolen or there aren’t any liens against it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm in Ga and have registered several trailers, both boat and flat bed. I've never registered one from out of state. The only documentation I've ever needed was bill of sale and the registration/tag receipt from the seller. You will need the signed title for the boat. Get everything you can. You can't have too much documentation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts