LED Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by kooker, Mar 11, 2015.

1. kooker

kooker I Love microskiff.com!

So I spent most of my night last night soldering wires and installing my 12v LED strips. The way I have it setup is about 2 1/2 feet of 20 gauge wire that runs from the battery compartment to the first LED strip then another 20 gauge wire that runs from that LED strip about 2 1/2 feet to another LED strip. I did the same thing on both sides of the gunnels (one strip is on the rear of the cockpit to the gunnel, the other is from the gunnel to the front of the cockpit).

My goal was to set up the LEDs with a dimmer so I could control light output at night. The dimmer has In(V-V+)Out(V+V-) when we turned it on there was smoke coming from somewhere so we immediately turned off everything. To test the LEDS from the two strips we twisted each of the Red wires and Black wires together and tested them straight to the battery (12V deep cycle). When that happened we got a serious current and it burnt my buddy a little.

Why is this happening and what do I need to do? When we test just one strip on the battery (20 gauge wire going to strip, then 20 gauge coming off of that to another strip) it lights up perfectly. When we put the two together and test on the battery we get a serious arch. Do I need to use a higher gauge wire in between the LED strips? Sorry I'm a noob at this stuff.

2. david_saito

david_saito I Love microskiff.com!

Sounds to me when you twisted your wires together they were left exposed. The black and red are probably touching each other and causing a short. That would be why the wires are getting hot

3. kooker

kooker I Love microskiff.com!

Well, I figured out the problem. Two of my solder points were touching and causing a short. It took 5 minutes to figure it out and then everything was good to go.

4. david_saito

david_saito I Love microskiff.com!

Awesome. Glad you figured it out