Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Brandon, FL
10,156 Posts
Make sure they are sealed. The air trapping ones are shiz.

3-5 years is probably normal. They take a beating on the road from vibration. They are also susceptible to heat issues and being sealed only exacerbates the issue. When driving they get hot and then dunk in water doesn't help either.

But I have found it is not the chip that ultimately goes bad, it is because the wires corrode.

Switch them out for the ones on the long pvc poles that mount on the trailer. That way they never touch the water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
6 inch oval lights. There sealed and have a 3 pin connector on the back. When they go bad you can pop the tail light out and put the new one in. They work the best that I have seen. I am using the non led ones though. There the same lights that are used in the pipe lights. Might need to make or buy the bracket to mount them on the trailer.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,655 Posts
I've used the cheap Autozone (or whatever) ones for 3-4 years now. A few of the LEDs have stopped working, I'm guessing due to vibration, but corrosion hasn't been an issue.

The number one issue I've found with trailer lights is that they usually ground to the back of the mounting stud. If you cut that off and run the ground all the way up to the tongue of the trailer, you will eliminate lots of issues. It's not that tough to make a watertight housing, but give it a once-over and smear RTV or 4200 or liquid electrical tape any place that looks like it could potentially leak.

Obviously it goes without saying that any connections should be 100% watertight. Some people like soldering and some people like butt connectors, but the most important thing is adhesive-lined heat shrink on any connections, and no submerged connections if you can help it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts