Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning
I’m leaning towards installing battery powered LED lights on my hog island skiff. Any suggestions on brands? I’ve looked at a couple but need the bi-color light to be about 12-13 inches to clear my trolling motor.

Suggestions and comments are much appreciated

·
Registered
970 Posts
I’ve had good luck with Navisafe. I use them on the SoloSkiff. Also, because the trolling motor obscures my starboard side light on the Skull Island when it’s installed, I made a bracket for the Navisafe which I mounted to the trolling motor base. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve had good luck with Navisafe. I use them on the SoloSkiff. Also, because the trolling motor obscures my starboard side light on the Skull Island when it’s installed, I made a bracket for the Navisafe which I mounted to the trolling motor base. Very happy with it.
Do you have a pic of the bracket?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Creekchub, I can’t post photographs. If you’ll PM me your number I’ll take a photo when I get home and text it to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts

I have a navigate set new up for sale.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchase the led kayak safety light kit by Railblaza for my Jon boat. I added a different mounting bracket that did not come with the kit to better fit my boat.
I am very happy with this.
Mike

·
Registered
970 Posts
Let me toss this out there; just because so many seem to be unaware, and because so many dealerships have no problem selling you a boat with noncompliant equipment.

Your sidelights / combination light need to be visible over a 225 degree arc. That’s 112.5 degrees on each side. Your trolling motor ( many boats) or your push pole ( a whole lotta boats) cannot obscure them. In addition, your white 360 degree light must be (on our class boats) one meter above the side / combination lights, and MUST BE VISIBLE OVER A 360 DEGREE ARC. So many of our poling skiffs have the white 360 degree light flush mounted at the rear of the poling platform, where it is lower than the prescribed height, and obscured by the stern-low attitude of the boat. And those cute little 360 degree lights on the outboard cowling don't even come close. My boat also came without a fire extinguisher, although one is required. The builder seemed puzzled when I told him it was required.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me toss this out there; just because so many seem to be unaware, and because so many dealerships have no problem selling you a boat with noncompliant equipment.

Your sidelights / combination light need to be visible over a 225 degree arc. That’s 112.5 degrees on each side. Your trolling motor ( many boats) or your push pole ( a whole lotta boats) cannot obscure them. In addition, your white 360 degree light must be (on our class boats) one meter above the side / combination lights, and MUST BE VISIBLE OVER A 360 DEGREE ARC. So many of our poling skiffs have the white 360 degree light flush mounted at the rear of the poling platform, where it is lower than the prescribed height, and obscured by the stern-low attitude of the boat. And those cute little 360 degree lights on the outboard cowling don't even come close. My boat also came without a fire extinguisher, although one is required. The builder seemed puzzled when I told him it was required.
great info!!
That is what I’m struggling with now is clearance above my bow mounted TM. I made a very temporary mount last for the bow light until I decide on a final install method. I used a large aluminum spring hinged clamp and bolts about a 13 inch section of pvc to the clamp. Then, I used gorilla tape, (lots of it) to secure a battery powered bi color light to the pvc. The only downside I have with this temp method is I have to clamp the light to my anchor cleat which is centered on the bow. I’ll have to remove it each time when anchoring and again when moving. I’ll tether it to the TM in case I drop it.

Has anyone tried the suction mount on the gas motor cowling. I think the navisafe light is rated for 7 mph. I fish upland, rocky rivers so I’m not worried about speed, just being visible

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,813 Posts
great info!!
That is what I’m struggling with now is clearance above my bow mounted TM. I made a very temporary mount last for the bow light until I decide on a final install method. I used a large aluminum spring hinged clamp and bolts about a 13 inch section of pvc to the clamp. Then, I used gorilla tape, (lots of it) to secure a battery powered bi color light to the pvc. The only downside I have with this temp method is I have to clamp the light to my anchor cleat which is centered on the bow. I’ll have to remove it each time when anchoring and again when moving. I’ll tether it to the TM in case I drop it.

Has anyone tried the suction mount on the gas motor cowling. I think the navisafe light is rated for 7 mph. I fish upland, rocky rivers so I’m not worried about speed, just being visible
I did suction on my solo. Right on the cowling

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,813 Posts
Did use a pole extension to increase the height off the cowling? Also, any issues with it falling off?
I didn't use it often, but, it didn't fall off. If you are leaving it all the time, change the suction to a seasucker. I did do this on the GPS because that was $$$$. I still use the GPS on my little skiff. I did not use an extension. If you are going to, I would recommend just getting the light and a seasucker and make your own.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Just about every poling skiff I’ve seen with a PERMANENT 360 cowling light is broken. The suction cup is a better idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Second post on this. Check out the Railblaza system. They have multiple mounts available to match whatever need there is. Also they have interchangeable lengths of connectors to raise and lower the lights to what heigth works best. Both front and back.
Also this all breaks down into a stowable bag to keep out of the way until it is needed.
Mike

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
810 Posts
Just about every poling skiff I’ve seen with a PERMANENT 360 cowling light is broken. The suction cup is a better idea.
The other problem with lights mounted to the cowling is 99% of the time they are not in compliance with Nav light regulations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts